2. Introduction Pasta is a staple food of traditional Italian cuisine. coursePasta is eaten in Italy only as first . The dough is made mostly from durum wheat or, buckwheat flour, with water and, sometimes, eggs. Pasta comes in a variety of different shapes that acts as a carrier for the different types of sauce and foods.
3. Pasta is categorized in two basic styles: dried and fresh. Dried pasta made without eggs can be stored for up to two years under ideal conditions, while fresh pasta will keep for a few days under refrigeration. Pasta is enriched with iron, folate and several other B-vitamins, including thiamine, riboflavin and niacin. Some varieties of whole grain pasta can provide up to 25% of daily fiber requirements in every one cup portion.
4. 1. Rotelle Rotelle are a type of pasta resembling wheels with spokes. Also known as wagon wheels, the name derives from the Italian word for little wheels. In Ohio, they are called as “Choo Choo Wheels”
5. Rotelle Pasta
6. Dishes Made From Rotelle PastaChicken Rotelle Rotelle Carbonara
7. 2. Fusilli Fusilli are long, thick, corkscrew shaped pasta. The word fusilli presumably comes from fusile, archaic word for “rifle” referring to the spiral-grooved barrel of the latter. The word can also mean “little” in Italian.
8. In addition to plain white colour, other colours can be made by mixing other ingredients into the dough. Eg. beetroot for red, spinach for green, and cuttlefish ink for black. Fusilli may be solid or hollow. Hollow fusilli are also called fusilli bucati.
9. Fusilli Pasta
10. Dishes Made From Fusilli PastaFusilli With Sausage& Artichokes Fusilli With Tomato Sauce And Tuna
11. 3. Tortellini Tortellini are ring-shaped pasta and their alternative name is "belly button" They are stuffed with a mixture of meat or cheese. Originally from the Italian region of Emilia, they are usually served in broth, either of beef or chicken.
12. Tortellini Past
13. Dishes Made From Tortellini PastaTortellini Salad Tortellini Soup
14. 4. Rigatoni Rigatoni is a form of tube- shaped pasta of varying lengths and diameters. It is larger than penne and ziti and sometimes slightly curved. Rigatoni is usually ridged, and the tubes end is square-cut like ziti, not diagonal like penne. The word rigatoni comes from the Italian word rigati, which means "ridged" or “lined”.
16. Dishes Made From Rigatoni PastaRigatoni Bolognese Rigatoni Abruzzi
17. 5. Conchiglie Conchiglie, commonly known as "shells" or "seashells" is a type of pasta. It is usually sold in the plain durum wheat variety, and also in coloured varieties. The shell shape of the pasta is good at catching the sauce.
18. Conchiglie Pasta
19. Dishes Made From Conchiglie PastaConchiglie Gamberi Conchiglie Ham Salad
20. 6. LINGUINE PASTA Linguine is a form of pasta, flat like fettuccine and trenette. It is wider than spaghetti, about 1/4 to 3/8 inch, but not as wide as fettuccine. The name linguine means "little tongues" in Italian. A thinner version of linguine is called linguettine.
21. Linguine Pasta
22. Dishes Made From Linguine PastaLinguine With Prawns Linguine With Clam Sauce
23. 7. Fetttuccine Fettuccine (literally "little ribbons" in Italian) is a type of pasta popular in Roman Cuisine. It is a flat thick noodle made of egg and flour wider than but similar to the tagliatelle. Fettuccine are traditionally made fresh but dried tagliatelle can also be bought in shops.
24. Fettuccine Past
25. Dishes Made From Fettuccine PastaChicken Fettuccine Fettuccine With Alfredo Sauce
26. 8. FARFALLE Farfalle are a type of pasta, commonly known as "bow-tie pasta" the name is derived from the Italian word farfalla (butterfly). Farfalle date back to the 16th century. It originated in Lombardia and Emilia- Romagna in Northern Italy. A larger variation of farfalle is known as farfallone, while there is a miniature version called farfalline.
27. Farfalle Past
28. Dishes Made From Farfelle PastaGarden Fresh Farfelle Garlic Chicken Farfelle
29. 9. PENNE Penne is a type of pasta with cylinder- shaped pieces. The hollow center allows it to hold sauce, while the angular ends act as scoops. Penne is the plural form of the Italian penna, deriving from Latin penna (meaning "feather" or
30. Penne Pasta
31. Dishes Made From Penne PastaPenne Pasta withMeat Sauce Beef Penne Pasta Casserole
32. 10. RAVIOLI The word ravioli is reminiscent of the Italian verb riavvolgere (to wrap). The earliest mention of ravioli appear in the writings of Francesco di Marco, a merchant of Venice in the 14th century. They are composed of a filling sealed between two layers of thin egg pasta dough.
33. Ravioli Pasta
34. Dishes Made From Ravioli PastaCheese Ravioli Toasted Ravioli
35. 11. Rotini Rotini is a type of helix or corkscrew shaped pasta, the name derives from the Italian word for “twists” Rotini is most often made from refined flour. They are often used in pasta salads with tomato-based sauces.
36. Rotini Pasta
37. Dishes Made From Rotini PastaRotini Salad Rotini Pepperoni
38. 12. Macaroni Macaroni was brought to Italy by Marco Polo in 1292. Macaroni is a variety of moderately extended, machine-made, dry pasta made with durum wheat. Macaroni noodles do not contain eggs, and are normally cut in short, hollow shapes.
40. Dishes Made From Macaroni PastaMacaroni With Cheese Macaroni With Broccoli
41. 13. Cannelloni Cannelloni are a cylindrical shaped pasta. It is generally served baked with a filling and covered by a sauce. The stuffing may include cheese, spinach and meat. The sauces typically used are tomato or béchamel sauce.
42. Cannelloni Past
43. Dishes Made From Cannelloni PastaCannelloni Bolognaise Cannelloni Spinach
44. 14. Cencioni Cencioni is a type of pasta and the name derives from the Italian word for little rag Cencioni are oval and petal- shaped, with a slight curve. They are larger and flatter than orecchiette, with a more irregular shape and a rough texture to one side to help sauces cling better.
45. Cencioni Pasta
46. Dishes Made From Cencioni PastaCencioni WithTomato Sauce Cencioni With Minced Meat
47. Acknowledgements Grains, Pasta’s & Pulses – Richard Olney Pasta & Rice – Angela Rahaniatis Pasta - James Wright