1. THE NAMESThe term Great Britain includes:• England- The capital is London.• Scotland- The capital is Edinburgh.• Wales- The capital is Cardiff.United Kingdom is not the same as Great Britain.UK also includes Northern Ireland, (the capital isBelfast)
2. Britain comes from Britannia, the name that theRomans gave the whole island.England or Engla Land means the land of theAngles.The Anglesinvaded Britain atthe end of the 5thcentury, alongwith the Saxonsand Jutes.
3. ENGLAND AND ITS SYMBOLS The patron saint of England is St George. In this picture, St George is killing a dragon. This legend traces back to the 9th century.
4. THE ROMANS IN ENGLANDThe Romans were in England from55 BC to 410 AD.They built many roads andimportant cities, such as London orBath.Hadrian’s Wall was thenorthern border of England.
5. THE NORMANS IN ENGLAND In 1066, the Normans, under the command of William the Conqueror, invaded and conquered England.This importantevent in the historyof England isnarrated throughimages in theBayeux Tapestry.
6. INFLUENCE OF THE FRENCH LANGUAGEFrench influencedthe evolution of theEnglish language toa great extent.From 1066 to 1362,French was theofficial language ofEngland.
7. THE BIG BEN and THE HOUSES OF PARLIAMENT
8. THE TOWER OF LONDON, THE BEEFEATERS and THE CROWN JEWELS