Pugad BaboyHistory of Pugad Baboy• Started to appear in Philippine Daily Inquirer in May 18, 1988• Named after a friend’s piggery• The comics is centered on a community of mostly obese people (hence pugad baboy)
• It was made into a live action TV show called Rated PB in 1993• There are currently 23 compilations, the first compilation was originally part of a thesis by Frank Aldana. The compilation became so popular that Medina himself made the compilation after the first one.
• Born in April 6, 1960• Graduated in UST in 1983 with a degree in Architecture• Worked in Iraq in 1985 where he experienced “the most maddening” two years of his life• Medina conceived the strip while working under contract in Iraq in 1986
Style• Non-linear story• Detailed facial expression• The use of satire - Satire – a literary device in which issues are held up to ridicule, ideally with the intent of shaming individuals and society itself to improvement. A common feature of satire is irony or sarcasm.
Significant Characters• Mang Dagul – the patriarch of the Sungcal family. He works as a chef in a five-star family. He is a proud owner of Polgas
• Debbie – the matriarch of Sungcal Family. She is a typical housewife.
• Bab – the resident bum and persistent lover of Tiny
• Kules – Eldest son of Dagul and Debbie. He works as an OFW in Saudi Arabia
• Tiny – daughter of Debbie and Dagul. A typical teenage girl
• Utoy – youngest son of Debbie and Dagul. Intelligent and musically talented
• Polgas – the anthromorphic dog of Dagul. Works as an agent and drinking buddy of Mang Dagul