Site strategy How will we deliver the benefits? A blend of CONTENT, DESIGN, FUNCTIONALITY and NAVIGATION Brand Values – what are our key brand values we can communicate to our visitors Site benefits – what will the site do for them? Target Customer Profile (s) – a description of the specific type of visitors we are looking to attract (no more than 2 profiles) Positioning Statement Web Brand Positioning Pyramid
A statement encapsulating the mission
for the site with particular emphasis on
how it is differentiated from others
What is our website for?
What are our objectives?
Who is our target audience?
What value does the site offer?
To customers, visitors
NB: The content, functionality, design and navigation features will not necessarily be unique BUT… CONTENT+DESIGN+FUNCTIONALITY+NAVIGATION=UNIQUE POSITIONING
Its not just the home page which needs to engage your audience
Pages searchers and browsers land on which are ‘call to action’ rich
Designed to get visitors to contact you or buy from you
An Ideal Landing Page… www.free-employer-advice.co.uk -Many ‘calls to action’ -Include words which reflect what has been searched for -eg ‘employment law’ -Build trust eg customer testimonials -appropriate images
An Ideal Landing Page… www.free-employer-advice.co.uk
Translated and localised content where relevant
The Functionality of your site will depend on the objectives Simple site Ecommerce site Password Retailers site - content from database eg stock and pricing Wholesaler’s extranet Dynamic pages
Store contents & templates separately in database Query database & contents Eg www.cloggs.co.uk Dynamically assemble personalised web pages when requested Import various information & media types User 1 User 2 User 3 Database Driven or HTML?
The good news for marketing on the web is that virtually everything can be measured
‘ I doubt that there is any other function in industry where management bases so much expenditure on such scanty knowledge.......probably no more than 0.2% of total advertising expenditure is used to achieve an enduring understanding of how to spend the other 99.8% Forrester ‘Advertising’ p.102 Kotler M.Mgt
Not just translation – nuances of language and appreciation of cultural tastes and taboos
Localised in terms of currencies, business practices, laws, regulation and taxes, iconography, colour association, technology available
Words and phrases have different meanings
'General Motors' was very successful in marketing its automobile, the Nova , in the United States. When they decided to export their product south of the border however, they were baffled when the car sold very, very slowly. Finally, someone let them in on the secret. In Spanish, "No va" is an entire sentence that means: "It does not go.“
In German, "Mist" is a slang word, which means "manure" . Many companies have had problems marketing their products in Germany as a result of this. Clairol, for example, experienced difficulties when trying to launch their "Mist Stick" curling iron in Germany.
The Irish alcoholic beverage, "Irish Mist" did not sell very well in Germany either.
Iconography – US mailboxes and shopping cart icons may have no meaning in certain countries
Gerber, a well-known food company, made a big mistake when they began to market their baby food in Africa. The label on the food packaging, the same as that used in the USA, displayed a picture of a Caucasian Baby.
The problem arises from the fact that in Africa the majority of people cannot read. As a result, it is common practice for companies to put a picture on the label that clearly illustrates what is inside the packaging
Some images may be offensive – eg open palms in Greece
Protocol: Certain cultural subtleties will need to be observed, such as presenting the male on the left in Asian family pictures, and showing only one child in Chinese
Numbers: Can be problematic, eg “4” in Japanese, and various numbers in Chinese
Colour associations – green has religious connotations in Islamic countries, black is sombre /mourning in most countries but white has same meaning in Japan, names written in red in Korea mean the person is dead
Getting paid -using payment service providers Acquirer Merchant Acquirer -Acting on behalf of credit card companies - eg Worldpay, BT KwikPay Credit card details sent in encrypted form Credit card company Bank