SMART PHONE AND TABLET
APPLE IPHONE, APPLE IPAD, ANDROID, AND WINDOWS 8 SYSTEMS
TURN YOUR DEVICE ON AND OFF
• All Phones and Tablets: You should power your device totally down at
least two times a week. This allows the memory to dump and will keep
your device working smoothly.
• Insure you power down your device and not just put it on standby. The
following slide will give you an idea of how you can tell if you are
turning your device off.
Windows 8 Phone hold down power
button until “Slide to Power Off”
appears. Slide the screen down and the
phone will power off
Apple Devices hold down
power button until “Slide to
Power Off” appears. Slide
it and the device will power
Holding down the off button will
give you a menu on an Android
device. Select the function you
• Setting security is extremely important; your phone could contain a
wealth of personal information. You should always use a security
• There are advanced security options coming out all the time. The new
iPhone even uses your fingerprint
• Consider disabling the factory reset option for number of times you
can enter your passwords wrong. This option wipes your device after
a certain number of attempts, usually pre-set to 10.
Android Devices allows you to use a number code or a pattern
When using pattern locks
make sure your pattern
Example of Android Pattern Lockoverlaps and that you keep
your screen clean. This phone
isn’t as secure as its owner
An anti virus program is a
good idea as smart phones
and tablets are used more
hackers are trying to break
into the systems.
iPhone Security is either through key code or the new iPhone uses fingerprint
Tap general settings
The new iPhone 5s uses
Then tap simple
passcode on in
the passcode lock
Most iPhones and iPads
use a passcode system.
Last step is to enter in a 4
digit code you can
• All Phones: Properly managing your contacts will allow you to quickly
call, email, and text family, friends, or professional contacts. You can
also enter birthdays, anniversaries and other important dates and your
device will automatically remind you of upcoming dates.
• If you are given the option always save your contacts to Google. That
way you can upload them to new devices.
Adding and Managing Contacts On
A Windows 8 Device
Enter in Requested information and
Press the “save” button
Press Add Button
Enter Contact Information
Tap on each field
Enter Other Information as needed
Organizing Your Contacts
Once you create a contact you
Can add a contact tile to the start
Contact tiles takes you directly
to the contact; allowing you to
make a call in 2 button presses.
Adding Contacts to Android Devices
Android Contact icons may be
different from phone to phone
but they will look something like
page, save all contacts
Android Contact List will look
something like this.
Apple Contacts are similar to the other systems
Tap here to
Apple Contact icons
Apple Contact List
Apple Contact Entry Screen
• Voicemail applications allow people who call you to leave a message
for you. This is usually included in your plan.
• Text messaging applications allow you to send text messages from
person to person. The cost of this service is also included in your plan
or through wi-fi. The best application for texting is usually the one
included on your device when it was purchased.
• Group your contacts so you can send a message to multiple people at
the same time
• Voicemail is specific to your cell provider, not the device.
• Since plans are so varied we can only discuss the very basics.
• In most cases, to set up voicemail you call your own number with your
phone and you should be transferred straight to voicemail.
• Enter in the temporary code your carrier gave you. It is usually the last
4 numbers of your phone number, 1234, or 9999. Make sure to
change your temporary code.
• The phone will prompt you to create a message or ask you if you want
to use a generic statement.
• Once you choose your message and change
your code you should
be good to go.
• To access your voicemail you can call your own number from your
phone, call your own number from another phone (remote access), or
some carriers offer visual voice mail applications which downloads
your messages to the phone.
There are two ways to
access text messaging
through the people app
The text messaging app
press tap here to access
A typical text message
looks like this. The
message or the “thread”
will contain all
had with the contact
Speech to text
You can also
Text Messaging on
Windows 8 Devices
Text Messaging on Android Devices
Android Devices allow a lot
of customization for text
messages but here are the
basic ones. You can attach
photos and locations to
text messages also
Text Messaging samples Android devices
Starting a text from a contact
How to tell if you have a text message
Text Messaging using Apple Devices
Just like the others Apple devices allow
you to start texting from a contact or
from the text messaging application
Typical text thread
• With email applications you can sync. your email accounts to your
device. You can read, send, and edit emails. Most devices will
synchronize with numerous accounts so you can get all your emails in
• MS Outlook applications will sync your email, calendar, and contacts
between your computer and your devices.
• Apple Email clients will typically only sync between Apple computers
and Apple devices.
• Google accounts will sync your email, calendars, contacts, and other
information between your devices and your computer.
SOME EMAIL APPLICATION TERMS TO
• Email Server: The website you use for email. This may be popular sites like
Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc. Or they may be specific to your carrier like
Centurytel, Wildblue or Hughsnet.
• Microsoft Exchange: These are specific to your workplace. If your workplace uses
MS Exchange you can set up the account to sync between your work station and
• Recommendations: Even if you have a local carrier you should use a popular site for
email. That way your email address is portable from place to place. Don’t use
crazy, obscene, or suggestive names for email, remember your email address may
be seen by employers or family.
Set-up Email on Windows 8 Devices
This tile is for MS
This icon is for non
MS Exchange Servers
Outlook on Windows 8
Some email servers will
require extra information.
Look up the information
on the web sites or
contact them for it.
Add Email Account Win 8
To add account select type and
enter requested information
Outlook will automatically sync
between your device and your
Email Setup and Use On An Android Device
First enter user name and
Setting up email on an Android can be
complex. You may need some information
from your server.
Select account type
Enter account settings
you will get this from
your email provider
This is what your email
page will look like. Some
devices have a black
Android Email Continued
Or you can just synchronize your Gmail account
Apple Devices Email Setup and Use
Email Icon Apple
Depending on what type of account you use this can
be a simple process (Gmail, MS Exchange) or it can
be a multi-step process (Yahoo and other POP3
Select account type
Another Sample of process
Enter requested information
Apple Devices Special Email Setup
Apple Devices may require
some additional information.
If prompted you must
complete these screens.
If you are using POP 3
Accounts complete this
screen. You can get the
information from your email
If you are using a
• Battery management is very important. Most devices do not have battery
management apps, you should install one.
• If you have location services (GPS) running, Wi-Fi, Mobile Hotspot, or other optional
services running your battery life could be severely cut. Battery Apps help you
identify areas where you can save power.
• Properly managing your battery could add hours of talk time.
• There are hundreds of apps available you should choose one that provides you with
information. Never use apps that makes decisions for you; they may shut down
programs you need; like your GPS when you are driving.
• The following apps are just some ideas, most are free or are almost free (under
Windows 8 Battery Management
A good battery management
application will also suggest where
you can save power
A good workaround is to
install a battery
And an even more useful application page
I use an application called Battery
Meter it has a useful live tile and is
Android Battery Management
Another simple app
that can really help
Avoid apps that do the
managing for you. They
may shut down systems
you want running
Download a battery management app
from the store. This will help you
better manage the systems that
consume the most energy
Apple Devices Battery Management
Simple design that
also provides links.
Looks good and tells you
what you can shut down
and has links to those
• How do you set-up notifications
• How to use notifications to your advantage
• How to disable notifications you don’t need
Windows 8 phones and devices use “Live Tiles” instead of notification
Each application has its own notifications
built in the tile changes instead of using
Tiles can be managed in the system
folder; once you are used to them live
tiles makes windows 8 devices easy to
How to set up Live Tiles
Apple Device Notifications
This is called a “PUSH” App
One form of notifications
You can set up notifications when you
install an app that uses them. You can
manage notifications through the
ICON / APPLICATIONS / TILES
• How to build menus
• How to organize
• How to move icons around
• How to clear running applications
Windows 8 devices have two menus a “Home Screen” and a “Program Lis
To remove it from your home screen
do the same thing and reverse the
To make tile larger or smaller press here
To move it to another
location just drag it
To pin a tile to your home screen just
hold your finger on it until the pin to
start menu appears
You can customize your
home screen any way you
like. You can pin
contacts, books, music, weat
her, and just about anything
else. You can even change
Apple and Android
Apple and Android Icon management are so close to the same we will cover them both here
Apple and Android place Icons on the device for each program you download. You can manage them by
tapping and holding the icon and dragging it to where you want it to go.
• Available browsers
• Which one should you use?
Windows 8 Internet Explorer
Internet speed depends on your
connection speed. 4G is the fastest and
1G the slowest.
Apple Internet Browser
Open New Tab
Android Internet Applications
Other than looks, android Internet works like the others
SMART PHONE TABLET PHOTOGRAPHY
• Smart phones can take awesome pictures
• Newer phones have up to 12mp cameras and advanced lens
technology like Carl Zeiss lenses.
• Photo editing applications are just as good as computer programs.
• Saving to SD Cards (except Apple devices) can make processing
photographs much easier.
Like all the other smart phones and tablets Windows 8 comes
with a photo application. It is just point and shoot.
Some of the camera applications
available for Windows 8 phones and
Windows 8 smart phones come with a Carl Zeiss
lens and a LED flash. It takes excellent photos.
Photo taken with smart phone
Apple Camera Application
Camera Icon for
Selector: Camera to Vide
Camera App Screen
Android Camera Application
Android Camera App
Camera App Screen
SCHEDULING AND ALARMS
• Using programs like Google or Microsoft allows you to automatically
synchronize your schedule with multiple devices.
• Most devices will allow you to share your schedule with your friends
and/or families and vice versa
There are 2 ways to build a schedule on
a Windows 8 Device. You can use the
scheduling tile or you can use MS
Outlook on your computer.
Press Add a Schedule Event
Apple Scheduling App
• Most people also use their devices for storing and playing music
• You can also use internet based radios like Pandora or the Sirius/XM
• There are multiple music applications available explore the store and
find one that suits your needs.
Nokia Music Application
Windows 8 Music Player
Windows 8 has multiple music apps and radio stations built in
Music App Menu
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.