View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!Introducing SlideShare for AndroidExplore all your favorite topics in the SlideShare appGet the SlideShare app to Save for Later — even offline
View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new Android app!View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!
Dr. Sally Zhao
TESL Canada Conference 2014
Using Blogs for Online and Classroom
• What is a blog ?
• Types of blogs used in teaching ESL
• Tutor Blog
• Using a blog in teaching online and in the
• How to create a blogger blog
• How to upload: links, pictures, videos, PPT, etc.
WHAT IS A BLOG?
A blog is:
• short for web log
• a personal website or web page on which an
individual records opinions, links to other sites, etc.
on a regular basis.(Google Blogger)
• to share information
• to teach Ss English
Whose idea was it?
• developed the first blogging
• started blogging in 1994
TYPES OF BLOGS USED IN
Aaron Campbell (2003): identified 3 blogs to use in the
• The Tutor Blog-run by the tutor for the learners
• The Class Blog- the whole class collaborates
• The Learner Blog-either run by individual learners themselves
or by small collaborative groups of learners
• a new teaching and learning tool
• motivates students to explore the Internet
• run by the teacher of the class
• gives students access to different online web-sites
appropriate for their level
• a resource of links for self-study
• provides syllabus information and an up-date on the
daily news of the class/school
Using Tutor Blogs in the Classroom
Use it for teaching:
• Listen to different conversations and do some cloze activities
• Listen to other students’ presentations and do a peer assessment as
well as a self-assessment
• Listen to the recent news and take notes
• Listen to songs and stories and answer either multiple-choice
questions or comprehension ones
• Watch videos and write summaries
• Watch movie trailers and answer multiple-choice questions
• Give presentations
• Have Ss watch their peers’ presentations
• Have Ss do a peer assessment
• Use online conversation q-s and practice speaking
• Ss record their conversation using the online voice
• Read stories, articles, the latest news, etc.
• Learn new words
• Do individual reading at home
• Listen and read along
• Learn idioms and use an idiomatic dictionary
• Use different dictionaries
• Write dictations
• Practice spelling
• Use PPt-s to teach new concepts
• Learn how to write paragraphs, essays,
• Chat with Tutor Mike(the online robot)
• Ss practice pronunciation with an online tutor
• Record students' short presentations, role-plays,
speeches, etc. using the online voice recorder
• Ss watch pronunciation videos on YouTube
• teach grammar using the available Power-Point Presentations
• have students practice grammar using online exercises
• assess Ss with the help of different quizzes, tests, etc.
• practice grammar and spelling by chatting with Tutor Mike
• play grammar games
• write dictations
Using a Blog in Teaching
• Provide online resources appropriate for their
• Create an online portfolio of students’ written
• Post handouts, notices, homework assignments,
• Use the blog for independent study
• Use the blog for peer assessment
Where to start?
Sites where you can set up a blog for free:
• Weebly- http://www.weebly.com
• WordPress- http://wordpress.com/
• Blogtery- http://blogetery.com/
How to create a blog?
Blogger Getting Started Guide
Creating a Blogger Blog in under 5 Minutes
How to Publish a Blog Post
How to upload stuff?
• Audio Files