• Abstract photography is unlike most other
types of photography - rules, such as
composition and accurate focusing hold
no values. The abstract photographer
uses his (or her) creative imagination to
create stunning works of art.
• Abstract photography is a popular form of
art and the rewards for a good abstract
photographer are worthwhile. Art buyers
pay large amounts for good abstract work.
• Abstract photography is a process of using
colors and patterns combined to create an
image, with no true meaning or no clear
• Abstract photography is not necessarily
going to mean the same thing to
everyone. Abstract photography leaves
more to the imagination and helps us
concentrate on texture and color rather
than the whole subject.
• Abstract photography will certainly be an
enjoyable challenge and very rewarding if
you master the true art.
• Creating an abstract image can be easy -
creating a great abstract image is difficult.
One of the most simple ways of creating
an abstract image is by using water and
your cameras' shutter combined.
• Shooting fast flowing water, with a slow
shutter speed of one second will give you
a blur effect. This is quite simple to do, but
will it look attractive?
• This will depend on light - shooting water
with a slow shutter speed when the sun is
low in the sky will give your image more
attractive colors. Different films will also
produce different colors.
• Adding color filters will also improve your
abstract photography. If you are using a
digital camera, filters can be added later
• Using a slow shutter speed to shoot a
flag blowing in the wind will also give you
an abstract image.
• The trick to keeping abstract photography
attractive when using your cameras'
shutter is to crop tightly. Fill the view finder
with the blur image.
• Some kinds of macro photography can be
considered as abstract. Close-ups of
flowers and other plant life will make great
• As with shooting water - macro abstracts
should be cropped tightly and the image
should have a theme of color. Some street
lights can also create abstract
• Every where we go we are surrounded
with color, textures and patterns. Patterns
make for great abstract images. New
patterns are formed by nature every day
and this is the best place to start to create
marketable abstract photographs.
• There are no guidelines for creating good
abstract images, just use your imagination
along with the natural world to create your