Haptics’ is a technology that adds the sense of touch to
Haptic technology refers to technology that interfaces the
user with a virtual environment via the sense of touch by
applying forces, vibrations, and/or motions to the user.
When virtual object are touched, they seem real and
• Derived from Greek word “haptikos” means able
to come in contact with”
• HAPTIC :also known as
• Haptic technology has the
ability to boost realism by the
addition of a third sense
Generation of haptic
• First generation: electromagnetic technologies
produce a limited range of sensations
• Second generation : touch-coordinate specific
• Third generation : delivers both touch-coordinate
specific responses and customizable haptic effects
• Fourth generation : pressure sensitivity, i.e. how
hard you press on a flat surface can affect the
Basic System Configuration
• Haptics is implemented through different
type of interactions with a haptic device
communicating with the computer.
• These interactions can be divided
into two category:
Types of Feedback
Tactical feedback Force feedback
• Refers to the sensations felt by the
• It allow users to feel things
• Eg: temperature, vibrations etc.
• It reproduces the directional
forces that can result from
• Eg: weight of virtual objects.
• It allow users to touch, feel
and manipulate 3-D objects
in virtual environments.
• Haptic device are input-
• providing a 3D touch to the
• provides 6 d.o.f
• when the user move his finger,
then he could really feel the
shape and size of the virtual
3D object that has been
• It works monitoring the
position of user fingertip or
hand by optical encoder
• The Cyber Grasp system fits
over the user's entire hand
like an exoskeleton and adds
resistive force feedback to
• Allows 4 d.o.f for each finger
• Adapted to different size of
• Located on the back of the
Computer and video
Shown off a technology
Haptics” that bring
real life experience in
video gaming and film
Medical & Military
• Patients interact with virtual
worlds by feel.
• Military Training in virtual
Robotics Mobile devices-
• Haptic technology
is also widely used in
teleoperation, or telerobotics.
Tactile haptic feedback
becoming common in
• The Design Research Lab
in Berlin, Germany has
developed a haptic feedback
glove designed specifically for
blind users to improve texting
• The Lorm glove allows blind
users to text by tapping
various sensors, and to receive
text via vibrations.
• Text for blind
Touch to feel the virtual world
• Interaction Research group at
Microsoft Research Redmond
user touch and feel objects
inside the virtual world
• flat touch screen convey depth,
weight, movement, and shape
• moving a finger on the screen,
the user can interact with on-
screen 3-D objects and
experience different force
responses that correspond to
the physical simulation.
Working time is reduced.
Communication is centered through touch and the
digital world can behave like the real world.
Increase confidence in medical field.
With haptic hardware and software designer can feel
the result as if he/she were handling physical objects.
Large weigh & size
From point of algorithm, output is not saturate.
The precision of touch require a lots of advance
• Touch plays a huge role in the way we perceive our
surroundings and also how we interact with them.
Haptics technologies have come a long way in bringing
this technology into reality.
• Currently limited to consumers.
• Future generations of mobile devices and game console
accessories will implement more haptic feedback.
• Increasing applications of haptics the cost of the haptic
devices will drop in future.
• This technology brings us one step closer to virtual