Raval Jaimin M
(Wireless Mobile Computing)
• Introduction of iBeacon
• iBeacon Hardware
• Range of iBeacon
3. What is an iBeacon?
• An iBeacon is a low cost, low-energy device which
emits a Bluetooth signal broadcasting a unique
• It uses Bluetooth low energy Proximity sensing to
transmit a Universally unique identifier picked up
by a compatible app that can be turned into a
physical location or trigger an action on the
device such as a Check-in on social media..
• It works slightly different to NFC.
• An iBeacon transmitter is a powered device
implementing BLE in Bluetooth 4.0 which was
first introduced to the iPhone 4S and iPad 3.
• Beacons contain a lithium battery that should
allow the beacon to Broadcast a signal up to
70m for 2 years .
5. Example of Ibeacon
Boy walk in the market to buy a iPhone, could get a pop-up with a
discount code of -20%,go to the indoor location
it can be used to make payments or money transactions
proximity is knowing that you’re close
to a specific physical location.
• The Transmitter is a beacon.
• The receiver is an app on your phone.
7. iBeacon Hardware
• Apple introduced iBeacon in iOS 7, they also
announced that any compatible iOS device
could act as an iBeacon.
• The list currently includes the following
(1) iPhone 4s or later
(2) 3rd generation iPad or later
(3) iPad Mini or later
• iBeacon hardware use a KS Technology.
• KS Technologies has two apps available the
• Particle Detector:-
Allows you to easily monitor
for iBeacons without writing a single line of
• Particle Accelerator:-
Allows you to wirelessly
reconfigure the devices as well as update their
10. UUID, Major, and Minor identifiers
• UUID is an for universally unique identifier
example:- Use a random string; B558CBDA-
• Major and minor values provide a little more
granularity on top of the UUID. These values
are simply 16 bit unsigned integers that
identify each individual iBeacon, even ones
with the same UUID.
multiple department stores you might
have all of your iBeacons emit the same UUID,
but each store would have its own major value,
and each department within that store would
have its own minor value.
12. Range of iBeacon
• The distance between transmitting iBeacon
and receiving device is categorized into 3
(1) Immediate Within a few centimeters
(2) Near Within a couple of metres
(3) Far Greater than 10 metres away
13. Required frameworks
• For creating a iBeacon then required some
14. Applications of iBeacon
• Marketing(shopping mall)
• Home automation
• Venue navigation
• Conference venues
• Car rental
• Taxi Alert
• Rokitansky, C.H .(2009);Aachen University Of
Technol:Comparison of adaptive medium
access control schemes for beacon.
• Erik Vlugt,(2010): BLUETOOTH LOW ENERGY,
BEACONS AND RETAIL