12. Sulake Dynamoid | Strictly confidential – legally protected and privileged information
14. IRC-Galleria today Service Users Weekly Unique browsers (TNS) 200 000 – 250 000 50% female – 50% male Registered users 450 000 70% of users are 15-‐24 year olds Reach of ﬁnnish 15-‐24 y 50% 1) 60% of users are over 18 year olds Weekly visits (15-‐20v.) 8,7 Average age of monthly visitors is Sessions Length (TNS) 18 min. 20 years Content (2011) 3 400 000 blog entries, 3 500 000 pictures and 91 000 000 messages. Polls were answered 8 800 000 Zmes. 46 000 000 Hearts (equivalent of like) were given, which equals 5 200 every hour. 1) TNS Metrix kuukausikävijät ka. 9-12/2011 * 70% 15-24v kävijäprofiili * 72% TNS muuntokerroin
15. Lessons learnt
17. The 80/20 rule …are used by 20% 80% of your Features… users
19. Lessons learnt: Keep the ﬁrst iteraZon simple! Test your ideas with real people
20. Lesson learnt: Do the ﬁrst version in a really small team
21. DesignDo not design for the present, always design for the future! Be prepared for: -‐ It takes ½ years from the idea to go to producZon -‐ It takes ½ years to gain an userbase to use it
22. Lesson learnt: Find a company It is the best way And running your own startup is fun! :)
23. What makes a good website? • The persons / company behind the site can be found • All the texts are in the same language • The user interface is uniﬁed • Does not ask for credit card • Explains what the site is about on the front page
25. Lesson learnt: IniZal implementaZon is just the start Maintenance phase is when the magic happens!
26. IRC 2000
27. Lesson learnt: Get a seed group Add easy funcZonality for the seed group to promote your site to their friends
28. Lesson learnt:
29. Lesson learnt: MarkeZng is not magic Make your product so good and simple your users will love it!
33. Lesson learnt: Adding features does not add quality! Lehng the user to do what he wants to do as simple as possible does.
34. Lesson learnt: Hiring people will make more problems NEVER FORGET THE PRODUCT
35. Lesson learnt: There are only 24 hours in a day Get a team with diﬀerent kind of specialiZes!
36. Lesson learnt:
37. Lesson learnt: Don’t do everything by yourself – You have the greatest workforce ever: The users!
39. Lesson learnt: Adding more people to the team on a project that is late will make it be more late! ⇒ Drop features instead or drop the project
40. Adding features ? Service Feature
41. Lesson learnt: Does the feature belong to this project? Or could it work as a standalone?
42. Weekly users
43. Lesson learnt: Know your metrics And be metrics guided, not metrics driven!
44. Lesson learnt: Key performance indicators: -‐ Daily users -‐ Feature usage -‐ User proﬁle (age, sex, locaZon) -‐ Daily income -‐ Content added -‐ New users and proﬁle -‐ Leaving users and proﬁle
46. Lesson learnt: Failures? The best teachers you could ever have! NEVER GIVE UP!
47. Lesson learnt: Decline makes you feel all is lost But it isn’t, move on!
48. Lesson learnt: Re-‐invent the product Find a new source …or create something diﬀerent!
49. Lesson learnt: Conclusion
50. Lesson learnt: QuesZons?
51. Kiitos! Jari Jaanto, Somia Dynamoid Erooajankatu 11 B 10, 4.krs 00130 Helsinki Email: jari.jaanto@somia.ﬁ Phone: +358 40 763 8288 IRC: jaﬀa Twioer: jahva Facebook: jarijaanto hUp://www.somia.ﬁ/ hUp://irc-‐galleria.net/