2. Selenium, itselfSelenium is a suite of tools used to automatebrowsers for testing and other tasks.Selenium runs in many browsers andoperating systems, and can be controlled bymany programming languages and testingframeworks.http://seleniumhq.org/about/platforms.jsp
3. The part Im going to focus on is Selenium IDE which is aFirefox add-on that performs simple record-and-playback ofinteractions with the browser.
4. This complete IDE allows you to record, edit, anddebug tests. You can then run the perfected testsrepeatedly, or a series of tests.More Features:● Easy record and playback● Intelligent field selection will use IDs, names, or XPath as needed● Autocomplete for all common Selenium commands● Walk through tests● Debug and set breakpoints● Save tests as HTML, Ruby scripts, or any other format● Support for Selenium user-extensions.js file● Option to automatically assert the title of every page● Easy customization through plugins
5. A good time to use it would be...
6. As an example tostart, I am going tocreate a simple testof logging in.Step 1: Click recordbutton
7. Step 2: Perform actions normally Navigate to site Login Success!
8. You can also editthe command,target, and valuefields if theywerent capturedcorrectly, butmost of the timewe wont have touse too manymanualcommands.
9. An easy way toconfirm youreat the place youexpect is to adda verifyTextPresentcommand.
10. You can createmultiple tests, such aslogin, add singleaward, and then signout-- all automated!This is known as a testsuite.
11. Make sure the tests are inorder, then click run all tests. If all goes smoothly, everything will appear green! The idea is to build large test suites to make sure everything still works. We will save test suites in project repository.
12. Install the add-on:http://seleniumhq.org/download/Links to tutorials I used:http://www.codediesel.com/php/selenium-ide-tutorial-part-1/http://www.codediesel.com/php/selenium-ide-tutorial-part-2/
13. There is lots more to it(that I dont understand)...And you might have questions(that I dont have answers to)...But we will figure out as we go what it is mostuseful for(or you can experiment further on your own)