Who is my target audience?
• Male leaning .
• 60% of my audience were 17 or younger.
• My magazine would need to be trendy and up
What are the interests of my target
• Listening to music
• Playing video games
Why was this useful to know?
• The answers show me that I will need to make
my magazine appear modern and up to date
through the use of promoting upcoming
• use bold fonts and colours although sticking to
a consistent house style and also it should be
more male leading.
What is the most effective source of
music news for my audience?
• The internet
• 46.67% stated they currently find out there music
news from the internet, this shows me that my
audience are familiar with the concept of
technology stereotypically suggested they are a
young target audience.
• My audience are modern and prefer convenient
• My magazine should have a clear layout which
does not appear cluttered and the article should
be informative and entertaining.
When and why do my audience buy
• Every few months, this reveals that there should be
enough music news to cover a substantial time frame.
• Those who do not buy Indie/rock magazine state that it
is because they do not enjoy the genre which is no
reflective on the design or content of the magazines.
• 73.33% said they spent £0 on magazines each year this
is because many of those who answered my question
were 17 or younger which means it is likely they are
still in education and are being financially supported by
What makes a band/artist enjoyable to
• The style of music
• How the band/artist is represented
• The lyrics of the songs
My research here showed me that it is likely my
audience are well educated and purchase the
magazine in order to learn and be informed by the
information provided. I need to make sure the
information is relevant to context.
Who did I interview? What bands did
• I interviewed three individuals who fitted the
criteria of being familiar with technology,
young, modern and well educated.
• They enjoyed bands such as ‘The pixies’, ,
‘Tokyo police club’, ‘Dismemberment plan’
• Which are all mainly rock artists which
suggested that the target audience is more
rock leading than indie.
What most appeals to my audience on
a rock/indie magazine?
Use of colours
This suggested that the magazine should be visually
appealing. It should be informative and attract the
audience to buy it through the use of colour, images
and pull quotes on the front cover. The colour scheme
and images should however be carefully chosen to
create the mode of address.
What do they expect to find in a NME
News about bands
This helps me by showing that the indie/rock
magazine will need to contain a lot of important
content regarding current news and needs to
focus on what the target audience want as
opposed to trying to appeal to a wider audience.
What is expected on the front cover of
a rock/indie magazine?
Good use of fonts
I will need to concentrate on the layout of my
front cover, for example where I position the
images and use of pull quotes and masthead.
What is expected on the contents page
of a rock/indie magazine?
Hip informal layout
Use of images
San serif fonts
Consistent house style
Red, black and white colour scheme
this helped me by suggesting it should be obvious
in reflecting how up to date modern and trendy.
It should be used to navigate through the
What is expected on the double page
spread of a rock/indie magazine?
Use of colours scheme
Bold appealing fonts
Therefore the double page spread needs to be
the most informative aspect of the magazine,
it should be light reading and aided by an
excellent use of images and colour.
What props and clothing are
associated with rock/indie artists?
Musical instruments, such as a guitar.
This information helps me to appeal to my
audience through the use of stereotypes.
• my artists should typically wear basic dull
coloured clothing and also use props such as
guitars captured either in a concert or wide
spaces which connote the power and freedom of
Criticism; What would my audience change
about the edition of NME they were shown?
• many of the audience did not strictly use the contents page but would just
flick through, although it would be used as a basic navigating guide.
• different colour would be better as they did not feel the yellow appealed
to the genre.
• the colour and fonts were a bit boring and better images should be used In
some aspects of the magazine.
• font was reasonably effective as it was san serif however the size and
positioning in the layout could be improved.
• From the information I can learn that the colours and the messages they
connote are of importance in creating the general tone of the magazine
with keeps in trend with the genre.
• Colours such as red and black are most effective.
• The image should also be chosen carefully, using the right location, use of
props and costume.
• The font should also strongly reflect the genre, it should be san serif and
bold and connote more of a masculine tone as opposed to being feminine.