1. Unit 4, 5 and 65 - Assignment 1SummaryI have been asked to produce a promotional video for a certain departmentwithin the Cheadle Marple College which will feature on the college’s websiteas well produced as a DVD so it can be given out to future student in hope toadvertise them to choose the study that certain subject. In addition it will beuploading the video to social networking sites such as Facebook so on theirFacebook page and upload it to YouTube on the college’s YouTube channel.The subject I will be advertising will be happy to advertise the subject and whypeople should study Photography as Photography is a subject which is a keyinterest of mine. I’ll need to produce a video to advertise the subject but notonly that I will need to create a brief to my client and have a series of recordsof communication and correspondence about me and the client. The video hasto have a lot of thought involved. I will have to series on planning for the videoknowing what the style will be like for example I will want it to be a upbeat,happy and not boring video which will follow the college’s colour scheme andindorsing the logo in the top corner throughout the video as well as sticking tothe same font and size and how long the video will be so it’s not too long andboring. So the time I would say the video would be is for around 3 minutes.Some of the video will work well for example the content involved within thevideo will be inspiring for student as well as the scenery and good image onhow the college looks. The only worry that I do have is if the video is toodetailed which would lead the students be bored of watching the video andnot concentrate whilst towards the end of the video. My plan is to create avideo which will persuade students to come to the college and thenthemselves selling it to their friends and family. I will be having the courseteacher in the video so he can persuade and tell the knowledge himself aboutthe course. So for the video I will have an interview style on the promotional
2. ApplicationsThe World Wide WebWorld Wide Web or better known as WWW is a very popular informationsystem on the Internet which offers facilities such as hypertext links which canhelp link one page to another. These pages are known as documents whichhave been uploaded by a server. This server is a computer network which has acollection of internet websites which provide to different types of effects suchas graphics so this could consist of designs for logo’s, pictures or bannerdisplays anything that is a picture/ a design. As well as graphics the internetallows you to include audio and video facilities. YouTube is a website that usesall 3 by including a graphic logo with thumbnail images as well as includingvideos.The web has lots of different type of media for exampleit includes social network sites such as Facebook, Bebo,MySpace etc. Which allows you to connect to people soeasily and keep updated to your close friends by havinga personal profile which can have picture banners,status’, pictures, videos etc. Social Networking onthe internet is a great thing as it’s suitable forpeople who have family around the world and is agreat place to connect with them and see how everything is going within amatter of minutes and is heck of a lot cheaper than getting a plane ticketdown! One thing what’s bad by being signed up to a social networking site isthat your information isn’t protected to a high standard. People who you don’tknow or don’t want to read it could find a way to see your personalinformation e.g. they can message you, search for you and read yourinformation. Of course they’re settings on social networking about privacy butthey can never 100% hide everything you don’t want people to see!Blogs feature on the internet; some well-known websites are Tumblr, Blogger,Word Press and many more. Blogs are created to be seen as a diary but anonline one which people can read or it can be protected. With blogs online itallows you to feature x10’s the amount than if you kept a hand written journal.Online Blogs allow you to upload media such as pictures, text, and video’s,audio. You can personalize the blog so it suites you, for example you canchange the layout of your blog to a chosen, already made blog which is
3. featured on that blog’s website or you can design your own using HTMLcoding. As well you can change the font, size and the colour of everything onyour blog. This means the blog can be completely customized by you.Promotional MaterialPromotional Material is one of the most important things to think about whencreating anything. Planning and making decisions earlier on in the stage isneeded in order to have a success. The one thing that any business needs toconsider is the target audience, who will it be aimed at? By aiming it andmaking it best fit to them. In my case I will be promoting the coursePhotography to students coming into College for the first time. The one thing Iwill need to make sure I put in my video is a good happy welcome; the scriptisn’t complicated and is just well understood. If it was seen as a boring longscripted video with long big words or scripted for babies it wouldn’t reach thetarget audience as I have to advertise the course to them in order to persuadethem to take on the course so I would need the promotional video to beunderstood fully what I will be informing.Short FilmsShort films came around when creations short films asit’s not long enough in order to be called a feature film.There isn’t a specific time of length to where the strawends but a type of animators called Academy ofMotion Picture Arts and Sciences have their own ruleswhen it comes to making short films. They say if thefilm is 40 minutes or less which includes all of thecredits. The term featurette originally applied to a filmlonger than a short subject, but shorter than astandard feature film. Examples of a short film are mostly in cartoons. Cartoons usually last between 15- 30 minutes long. Animation teams such as Aardman Animators. They have a children’s cartoon called Timmy Time which lasts up to 20 minutes. This isn’t a full length feature theme because it’s nowhere near to same lengthcompared with feature films so it’s classed as a short film.
4. Viral MarketingViral Marketing is a marketing technique which is brand awareness. When itcomes to creating something for example a promotional video like what I’mdoing. You want your creation to be as popular as you can so marketing comesinvolved. There is many ways in order to get my video popular. This is due tothings like the internet or a classical way of leaflets and posters. These wouldhelp it get popular by putting them in places where people would mostly seethem. For example the city centre is a busy, popular place where loads ofpeople go so putting posters up and giving leaflets out there would be a greatone. But I have to consider my target audience for my video therefore it wouldbe better if I handed posters and leaflets around high schools so the studentsthat would be going to college next year would notice them and read about it.If I was going to create a video in order to advertise the course I will bepromoting I will have to make sure the video stands out from the crowd. Forexample Cadbury’s have very unique and adverts which are bonkers. It maynot be selling the product but they do sell it well. This is due to howentertaining it is.This is a famous advert done by the well-known brand Cadbury’s. This advertdoesn’t have any relation in the chocolate bar itself but the simplicity is the keyto success. It’s seen to be an advert which is highly recognised from being toocatchy and memorable. This shows Viral marketing as the company Cadbury’shave thought about what they can do in an advert in order for everyone torecognise their brand by 1 advert, which they seemed to nail especially well.
5. User-Generated ContentUser generated content or in other names UGC is anonline content which is created by website users ratherthat the owners of the actual website themselves. Theyset up sites allowing people to upload their own stuff ontheir own account. They could upload a range of different media for examplethey could upload to their website by reviews, blogging, and podcasting,posting comments, pictures and videos. The most well-known websites aremostly user-generated content. Examples of well-known websites are websiteslike MySpace, YouTube, Wikipedia and Flickr. On MySpace they allow you toupload your own music and set up band pages so they can help advertise their band using MySpace profile. YouTube is a huge business where people most videos and building routines such as vlogs where they post videos weekly and helps users build up a name using their website. Wikipedia is an information website where people can update the information being displayed which is a user-generated content too. Wikipedia have honestly done that to save time for they as well there issome information and things out there they wouldn’t have a clue themselves.Users use these websites because its great recognition as it’s got the most hitson search engines such as Google.TechnologyCompressionCompression is a method which is used when you want to save free data bymaking large files of pictures lower in size. Compression doesn’t change yourimage what so ever so the image will be appeared to look the exact change asthe only thing we are changing is the size of the file so we reduce itconsiderably.The quality of the image might be a tad effected but not to an extent. It hasbeen compressed so of course when the large file has been reduced too muchthere is going to be a noticeable change. The reason being is that the defaultsize of the picture which has a small compression isn’t too obvious only whenthe image has been zoomed in on and the detail in the picture has beenreduced. You know when the picture has been compressed because pixels
6. start to show which shows the reduced amount of detail in the picture so lessdifferent shades of colour are being used.Digital video file formats.mp4.mp4 is a multimedia container format which is a standard file format forMPEG-4. .mp4 is used to store digital video and digital audio formats especiallyaudio formats which work with MPEG. It’s not only audio and videos .mp4allow you to store, it allows you to store other data such as subtitles and stillimages. .mp4 allows to stream all over the internet.Some devices advertised as MP4 Players are similar to MP3 Players as they alsoplay AMV video as well as some other video formats not just .mp4.QuickTime PlayerQuickTime is a type of software which has been created from the well-knowncompany Apple Inc. It’s a very powerful multimedia technology which featuresa built-in media player. QuickTime allows you to watch videos and audio fromyour computer. QuickTime allows you to view several different kinds of fileformats for example for video and audio file formats that can be used byQuickTime are: Video file formats QuickTime Movie (.mov) MPEG-4 (.mp4, .m4v) MPEG-2 (OS X Lion only) MPEG-1 3GPP 3GPP2 AVI DV
7. Audio File Formats iTunes Audio (.m4a, .m4b, .m4p) MP3 Core Audio (.caf) AIFF AU SD2 WAV SND AMRAll these entire file formats are viewed by a high quality which is due to thesoftware QuickTime. QuickTime allows you to view Internet videos, HD movietrailers, sound and panoramic images and interactivity as well as personalmedia which can be viewed in the file formats above. Surprisingly QuickTimecan be available for Windows XP not just Apple’s operating system. I feel likethat’s clever of them to allow people who don’t have Apple operating systemto have it as it allows them to create larger amount of profits instead of onlycoming as a package it can be done separate as it’s a software by itself.QuickTime is available on operating systems such as Mac OS X Leopard,QuickTime X, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Lion and Mountain Lion.QuickTime features advanced video compression technology which is calledH.264. They have this compression technology as it helps to deliver brilliant,sharp HD video which is efficient as it uses less bandwidth and storage. Thisallows you to save vital space as well as experience pristine video qualitywherever you decide to watch. QuickTime can be used for the internet andusing devices such as your mobile phones, it’s still shows it’s high quality evenon your PC and on website pages!
8. This is the layout and presentation of QuickTime. The design is a simplisticdesign with easy to understand controls. The position of buttons andnavigation is a doddle to use. QuickTime have really thought about howsimplistic to make it in order for the viewer to watch videos and audio themost enjoyable way. It has a clean, uncluttered interface which isn’t too brightand annoying to get you distracted from you loved videos. The navigation andinteractivity hides away within seconds when you choose the option play. Theyhave a useful handy slider which allows you to drag and drop to the exact pointyou want to start and stop from. It also has another option which allows you toset playback from x1, x2 and x3 the normal speed. You have the power topause the view on a frame and it allows you to clearly see each individualframes with no blur.I feel like the colour scheme to QuickTime is to a very professional standard. Ifeel like the simplistic it is, the better it is for a viewer. The only problem Iwould suggest is to permanently have the navigation bar i.e. the options of file,view, modify etc. permanently on show instead of having the option to hide itbecause I feel like some people who will have the option won’t know how tochange it back or won’t be able to fine it at all. One thing that I do have aproblem with is the close, enlarge and maximize buttons. I feel like it’s toohard to understand but that is a feature which all Apple Incs products includein. I feel like it’s just too all complicated, I’m not sure if it’s just something I’mnot use to or it’s silly. In general my overall view is that I feel like it’s clever forsoftware to allow you to watch clear, high quality videos.Flash PlayerAdobe Flash Player is a cross-platform browser-based application runtime thatshows uncompromised expressive applications, content, and videos acrossscreens and browsers from all over the internet.Flash Player is optimized for high performance on computers but just forcomputes on mobile screens too so it still shows the same high quality on anytype of device. In addition they keep the design the same but they change to fitthe device capability which helps it better looking, easy to use player forpeople who use it!
9. Not only is Flash is a player withvery high quality it is veryimportant. It’s used forshockwave files which arebasically for animations ormovies. Most animations can befound on the internet asshockwave is the most popularfile format. Flash Player is usedfor internet so we can viewcertain movies, animations andmusic video’s etc. This is to dowith videos on websites thatcant host by itself.This is the presentation of Flash player. I feel like it’s a useful player which isvery simplistic and very easy to understand. Flash player features a navigationbar at the top ranging from File to Help. That navigation is presented thereprenatally and doesn’t fade it evidentially. I feel like it would look better if itwas hidden but I think it’s logical to stay, this is because people will beconfused and wouldn’t know how to find it any other way if it wasn’t at thetop. I feel like the simpler the better, the thing I only advise is try and make thelayout and design a bit more unique and a new professional layout.Shockwave playerShockwave player is a player that is used for many different types of media. Allthis media i.e. photos, interactive videos and animation can be shown oncomputers if they have a plug in already installed.Real playerReal Player is a multi-platform media player which allows playing a lot ofdifferent file formats. Real player allows you to view audio files as well as videofile formats. Real Player allows you to listen/ view MP3, Windows Media quicktime as well as a lot selection of video and audio file formats.
10. Media playerMedia player is a type of computer software which is usually automaticallyinstalled when you first receive your computer/ laptop. It allows you to playmultimedia files. It’s a player which is the most time efficient as you don’t haveto install major applications as it’s already there for you. Plug in’s for the fileshave to installed for media players in order to activate it.