Image: 'Just Talking'
If I were to ask you what it is
about the human voice that
helps to engage us, what might
When Brent and Todd
underground, what sound
would they have most
wanted to hear?
• Add voice to powerpoints
• Digital storytelling
• Mobile technology
• Imagine, as a trainer, you record an audio program
for your students, upload it to a website, and within a
short period of time your students receive this
program on their computer. Their MP3 player
downloads the program automatically and they start
listening to the program whenever and wherever
they want to. This is what podcasting allows you to
• The sound of my voice was very reassuring
• Because they listened to the podcast on an mp3 player with
earphones in their ears, they could block out all extraneous
noises and concentrate on what was being said.
• They could play it over and over again so it helped them
• Because it was portable, they could take it anywhere. (train,
on holidays, car etc)
• It increased their confidence in contributing to a
class discussion because they had prior knowledge
of the topic.
• Adding voice and music to
a digital story brings it to
Ways to use Digital Stories:
Students display their learning journey
Use on an eportfolio
ESL students upload their stories to a diversity
wiki to share
DST is a great way to teach beginner
computing skills (interesting, fun)
quot;A VoiceThread is a collaborative, multimedia slide show that holds
images, documents, and videos and allows people to leave comments in
Voicethread Cert 111 Children’s Services
• using voice, with a mic (or phone in USA only)
• audio file
• video (via a webcam)
• Share a VoiceThread with friends, students, and
colleagues for them to record comments too.
• Users can doodle while commenting, use multiple
identities and pick which comments are shown through
• VoiceThreads can even be embedded on web sites and
exported to MP3 players or DVDs as archival movies.
• With VoiceThread, group conversations are collected and
shared in one place from anywhere in the world. All
with no software to install.quot;
• Skype is a software application that allows users to
make telephone calls over the Internet.
• Calls to other users of the service and to free-of-
charge numbers are free, while calls to other
landlines and mobile phones can be made for a fee.
• Additional features include instant messaging, file
transfer and video conferencing.
Voki is a fun tool that allows you to create
your own personal avatar and give it a
voice. You can choose from a wide
selection of characters, as well as
animals, anime looking characters, and
more, and you can personalize them with
different hair styles, clothing
options, accessories, and more.
You can add voice by either adding
a message via your phone or
microphone, or you can just type in
a message and voice to speak what
you ve written.
What is Tokbox? It's free video calling from any
website with no downloads. I've tried it out, and here's
what I found particularly impressive:
• no client software downloads or installation (it
uses Adobe Flash Player 10, a web plug-in that
most browsers have)
• multiple users, maximum might exceed 50;
probably more effective with less than 12
• no registration required
• embeddable into other web pages
• other features too, like video email, instant
(Excerpt from digital leadership)
What is it?
Twitter is a social networking and microblogging service that
allows you answer the question, quot;What are you doing?quot; by
sending short text messages 140 characters in length, called
quot;tweetsquot;, to your friends, or quot;followers.quot;
Is it useful?
Depends on how you use it. I use it for networking, finding out
about new things and keeping in contact.
• Twitter helps one organize great, instant meetups (tweetups).
• Twitter works well as an opinion poll.
• Twitter can help direct student’s attention to good things happening
in the group
• Twitter breaks news faster than other sources, often (especially if
the news impacts online users).
• Twitter brings great minds together, and gives everyone daily
opportunities to learn (if you look for it, and/or if you follow the
• Twitter gives your critics a forum, but that means you can study
• Twitter helps with staff development, find other teachers.
A screencast is a digital recording of computer
screen output, also known as a video screen
capture, often containing audio narration.
Screencasts are useful for demonstrating and
teaching software features (Wikipedia)
• Use Camstudio to create a “how to” movie
• Jing is another free screencasting tool
Don’t forget the humble mobile phone! Why?
• Most students have one
• They are instant and direct
• Ims can be sent to one or a
group of students
• Can send reminder notices
about assessment due dates
or changes in timetabling etc
• Calls to one student – private, reassuring
• Conference calls to several students at once