SCHOOL OF ARCHITECTURE, BUILDING & DESIGN
Foundation in Natural and Built Environment (FNBE)
English 1 [ENGL0105]
Assignment: Essay Question
Assignment Individual work.
stated in the
Due on 2nd May
2014 (until 9pm –
to be submitted on
assignment to be
shown on 29th April
This assignment evaluates academic writing skills for a basic 5-paragraph expository or
argumentative essay. It also evaluates the student’s ability to research information to support the
arguments proposed in the essay, to cite the sources of information and also to provide a list of
All persons, books and other sources of information are to be referenced in accordance with the
OBJECTIVES OF ESSAY WRITING
The objectives of this project are as follows:
1. Provide practice in basic 5-paragraph essay writing.
2. Provide instructions in basic referencing skills.
3. Provide basic analytical skills for contemporary essays and reading texts.
LEARNING OUTCOMES OF THIS REPORT
1. Write a well-developed and well-organised 5-paragraph process writing essay
2. Apply the right processes for this kind of expository writing
3. Analyse contemporary essays and reading texts critically.
TASKS – METHODOLOGY
Your tasks are as follows:
Identify the steps involved in producing an attractive sketch. Then, write a process essay to
describe this process.
1. The word limit for this assignmentis 600 to 800 words only.
2. You must research the topic that you choose and write an essay that is informed by
3. Submissions after May 2nd, 2014 will not be entertained.
4. The essay must be typed on A4 paper using font style ARIAL point size 12 with double
5. Your essay must be submitted with the following:
i. pre-writing (draft of your essay)
ii. cover page (follow the attached format)
The assessment for this assignment will be based on:
Your demonstrated understanding of the brief.
The content of the write-up—strength of central idea and relevance to the question.
Clear and coherent organization of ideas and argument.
Ability to use scholarly references to support arguments and ideas.
Grammar and mechanics.
Descriptors Level 1 Level 2 Level 3 Level 4 Level 5 Total
Percentage 40-49% 50-59% 60-69% 70-79% 80%& above Marks
Prewriting - 10
Unity – 10
Essay is not
with 3 topic
statement, 3 topic
Support– 30 Provides
Ideas are clear
Provides 8 or
Coherence –30 Essays
Uses 2 or
Uses 4 word
of words and
1. Langan, J. (2008). College Writing Skills with Readings. (7th Ed.)New York: McGraw Hill.
2. Terry, M. & Wilson, J. (n.d.) Focus on Academic Skills for IELTS. Longman.
SCHOOL OF ARCHITECTURE, BUILDING AND DESIGN
FOUNDATION IN NATURAL BUILD ENVIRONMENT
STUDENT ID NO:
ENGLISH 1 (ELG 30505)
WRITTEN ASSIGNMENT 1: PROCESS ESSAY
LECTURER: CASSANDRA WIJESURIA