AUDACITY IN 30 MINUTES A workshop by the University Libraries Cheryl Cross Armondo Collins Chelsea DeAngio Beth Filar WilliamsOct 18, 2012
POLL: WHAT IS YOUR EXPERIENCEWITH AUDACITY?A. Never even heard of it until recently.B. Have never used it before.C. Have seen it used but never used it personally.D. Tried it but couldnt even install it!E. Used it a few times
• Learn how to install Audacity• Discover how to select, copy and paste portions of audio files• Explore options for silence, fade and amplify audio files• Understand the concept of layering tracks• Record and export audio filesOBJECTIVES
• a free, open source, cross-platform audio editor• record live audio through a microphone or mixer, or digitize recordings• capture streaming audio (depends on your sound card)WHAT IS AUDACITY?
• Available free for PC, Mac • Import and export WAV, AIFF, AU, FLAC files • Export MP3 files using LAME encoder library • Easily edit using cut, copy, paste, delete • Create effects, remove background noise • Exported files easily shared on Blackboard, via emailWHY USE AUDACITY?
• Podcasts of lectures, class recordings• Voicethread responses combined into podcast• Record voice over narration for multimedia projects• Practice foreign language skills, oration - link with Web 2.0 tools (Voki, Blabberize)How do you see yourself using Audacity?APPLICATIONS
• Info from our Instructional Tech Toolkit: http://uncg.libguides.com/content.php?pid=298104&sid=2497 737#8574621• A basic steps guide: https://wiki.carleton.edu/display/itskb/Using+Audacity• Detailed guide by Dr. Marshall Jones: http://coe.winthrop.edu/jonesmg/lti/podcasting/podcast_auda city.pdf• Audacity 1.2 Tutorial. Dans Ed Tech Blog http://www.lifelonglearner.us/other/audacity/audacity_introdu ction01.htmlONLINE RESOURCES
• Audacity Manual - Tutorials. (n.d.). Audacity: Free Audio Editor and Recorder. http://audacity.sourceforge.net/manual- 1.2/tutorials.html• Hiitola, B. (2010). Getting started with Audacity 1.3 create your own podcasts, edit music, and more with this open source audio editor. Birmingham, UK: Packt Pub. (Available as E-book from UNCG library)• Schroder, C. (2011). The book of Audacity: record, edit, mix, and master with the free audio editor. San Francisco: No Starch Press. (Available as E-book from UNCG library)MORE RESOURCES