Celador Films – Outline of the
film production company
• Celador was originally formed as a independent production company in 1983.
Celador is a global light entertainment company.
• Celador was taken over by complete communications which expanded into film,
radio and international businesses.
• Complete communications then announced that they were selling the company,
and Celador Productions management completed a buyout of the company.
• Celador films was established in 1999 with their first production being Dirty Pretty
• This film was premiered in 2002 and received a standing ovation which also went
on to receive nine industry awards and in addition to these an Oscar for best
• They are also well known for the popular TV series Who Wants to be a Millionaire.
• Celador is only a small production company which makes films on a project-by-
• They contract freelance staff to get their films made, which means that they are
there only to make that certain film.
• Small production companies like Celador often get their funding through initial
capitalisation, this can be through bank loans, investors or even personal finance.
There could also be matching finance available from official bodies like screen
• They could also be funded by their parent company, although in Celadors position
this would not be the case
• Co-funding and partnership could also be an option, usually lots of smaller
companies get together to make a film and put together their funds.
• They could operate through distribution fees by selling the project to a distributor
before its made.
• They could also license the project to a big production company.
Celador began making films in 1999 and since then they have produced seven films in
ten years. The seven films they have produced are:
• Centurion (2010)
• The scouting book for boys (2009)
• The Descent: Part Two (2009)
• Slumdog Millionaire (2008)
• Separate Lies (2005)
• The Descent (2005)
• Dirty Pretty Things (2002)
They are currently working on film production, radio broadcasting, theatrical
production and music publishing. They have two radio stations, called the Breeze and
Market Position and Competitors
• CeladorFilms are in competition of course with ticket sales and later on after the
film is released DVD sales.
• Celador is only a small production company although they are actually quite
successful. They have only released seven films in ten years.
• Celador although is only a small company still has big competitors. One of their big
competitors is Sony Pictures Entertainment. Sony release big budget films such as
The Smurths and After Death. These films cost 100+ million, were as the budgets
for Celador films are much lower.
• Sony Pictures Entertainment also release several movies a year, where as the past
10 years Celador have only released 7, which Sony could produce in 2 years with
the money and budgets they have.
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.