3. When “I Do” becomes “I Don’t” “I Do” Don’t”1. What does the Bible say about Divorce?2. What to do in a struggling marriage?
4. Marriage is intended to be lifelongMatthew 19:6“So they are no longertwo, but one flesh.Therefore what Godhas joined together,let no one separate.”
5. 1. Absolutely Not ??
6. Absolutely Not ??Mark 10:11-12(see also Luke 16:18)“He answered, “Anyone whodivorces his wife and marriesanother woman commitsadultery against her. And ifshe divorces her husbandand marries another man,she commits adultery.”
7. PhilippinesVatican City
8. 1. Absolutely Not ??2. Adultery
9. AdulteryMatthew 19:3-9
10. Matthew 19:3-9 19:3- v.3 - Pharisee wanted to test Jesus: “Can a man divorce his wife for any reason”? reason”?
11. Deuteronomy 24:1 (KJV) “When a man hath takena wife, and married her, and it come to pass thatshe find no favour in his eyes, because he hathfound some uncleanness in her: then let himwrite her a bill of divorcement, and give it in herhand, and send her out of his house.”
12. “no favour”?“uncleanness”?Rabbi Hillel – burning the food, nagging …Rabbi Shammai – unfaithful / adultery …Rabbi Akiba – found a prettier woman …
13. Matthew 19:3-9 19:3- v.3: Pharisee wanted to test Jesus: “Can a man divorce his wife for any reason”? reason”? vv.4-6: Jesus reminded that marriage is vv.4- lifelong. lifelong. v.7: Pharisees asked why Moses commanded a man to give his wife certificate of divorce. v.8: Jesus said divorce is permitted (not commanded) because hearts were hard. hard. v.9: Divorce is allowed if a spouse commits v.9: sexual immorality. immorality.
14. AdulteryMatthew 19:9“I tell you that anyone who divorces hiswife, except for sexual immorality, andmarries another woman commitsadultery.” “porneia”
15. Dear Abby;I am in love and I am having an affairwith two different women other thanmy wife. I love my wife but I love theseother women too. Please tell me whatto do, but don’t give me any thatmorality stuff.Signed:Too much love for only one.
16. Dear Too much love for only one;The only difference between humansand animals is morality.Please write to a veterinarian.Signed:Abby.
17. 1. Absolutely Not ??2. Adultery3. Abandonment
18. Abandonment1 Corinthians 7:12-1512 …. If any brother has a wife who is not abeliever and she is willing to live with him, he mustnot divorce her. 13 And if a woman has a husbandwho is not a believer and he is willing to live withher, she must not divorce him. …15 But if theunbeliever leaves, let it be so. The brother or thesister is not bound in such circumstances; Godhas called us to live in peace.
19. 1 Corinthians 7:12-15 7:12- Paul was repeating the teaching of Jesus - husbands and wives not to separate. Paul addressed a different situation - mixed marriages. vv.12-13: Paul affirms that Christians vv.12- should not initiate a divorce just because the spouse is not a believer. v.15: But if unbelieving spouse abandons the spouse, the innocent spouse is not bound by the marriage.
20. 1. Absolutely Not ??2. Adultery3. Abandonment4. Abuse ??
21. Abuse ??Colossians 3:19 “Husbands, love yourwives and do not be harsh with them.”1 Peter 3:7 “Husbands, in the same waybe considerate as you live with yourwives, and treat them with respect as theweaker partner….”
22. Abuse ?? Extension of 1 Corinthians 7:15 ??1 Corinthians 7:15“But if the unbeliever leaves, let it be so.The brother or the sister is not bound insuch circumstances.”
24. What to do in a struggling marriage?Be Christlike
25. Marriage is to be anongoing demonstrationof the sacrificial lovethat Christ showed Hischurch(Ephesians 5:21-33)
26. “What if Goddesignedmarriage to makeus holy morethan to make ushappy?”
27. “If the purpose of marriage were merely happinessand romance, I’d have to find someone new aboutevery two years (and some do!). But if holiness isGod’s focus, then living with a difficult spouse is anopportunity for me to grow in Christlikeness, for meto be transformed.If I focus on changing myself ratherthan trying to change my spouse, Ifind I must depend on God and inthat process I will find deepfulfillment.”
28. What to do in a struggling marriage?Be ChristlikeBe Prayerful
29. (Amplified Bible)“Be earnest and unwearied and steadfast inyour prayer life, being both alert and intent inyour praying with thanksgiving.”Colossians 4:2“Devote yourselvesto prayer, beingwatchful andthankful.”
30. What to do in a struggling marriage?Be ChristlikeBe PrayerfulBe Resolute
31. “Love at first sight,Leave at first fight”
32. MiG-MiG-29Jet Fighter
33. What to do in a struggling marriage?Be ChristlikeBe PrayerfulBe Resolute
34. "Here is the stuff of which fairy tales are made, the prince and princess on their wedding day. But fairy tales usually end at this point with the simple phrase, They lived happily ever after. This may be because fairy tales regard marriage as an anticlimax afterArchbishop the romance of courtship. This is not Robert the Christian view. Our faith sees the wedding day not as a place of arrival Runcie but the place where the adventure begins."
35. 300,000,000,000,000,000,000,000300 sextillion starsPsalm 147:3 “He heals the brokenheartedand binds up their wounds.”… verse 4 “He determines the number ofthe stars and calls them each by name.”