1. “The Christians & The World” 1 John 2:15-17 Ps Dr Ng Swee Ming
2. This is anordinary glass water jar. Question :HOW DO YOU GET THE AIROUT OF THISWATER JAR ?
3. The Christian & the World 1 John 2:15-17
4. Series on 1 JohnLast Sunday ....Different Generations : “Forgiven” Generation “Overcoming” Generation “Knowing” GenerationSatan have two main weapons : 1. Accusation 2. Temptation through Lies Testing – ‘God is Bad’ Tempting – ‘Sin is Better’
5. 15 Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.16 For all that is in the world — the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life — is not of the Father but is of the world.17 And the world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever. 1 John 2:15-17 (NKJV)
6. 1 John 2:15v15 Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.Love – • Storge – affection Gk : ‘AGAPE’ • Phileo – friendshipWorld – • Eros – romantic Gk : ‘kosmos’ • AGAPE – • Cosmonauts UNCONDITIONAL • Cosmopolitan LOVE • Cosmetics ??
7. 1 John 2:15 DO NOT LOVE THE WORLD or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.John 3:16 "For GOD SO LOVED THE WORLD that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.So – is there a contradiction ??Should I love the world or not ? The “WORLD”
8. The “WORLD” 1 John 2:15The word “World”has 3 possible meanings.....a. John 1:9 The true light that gives light to every man was coming into THE WORLD..... Acts 17:24 "The God who made THE WORLD and everything in it...” World here refers to the created universe with planets, sun, moon & stars but with special ref to planet EARTH.
9. The “WORLD” 1 John 2:15b. John 3:16 "For God so loved THE WORLD that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” “World” here refers to mankind or humanity and not the entire planet. Jesus died to save humanity – people and not the animals, plants, nature etc.
10. The “WORLD” 1 John 2:15Consider John 1:10 He was in THE WORLD, and though THE WORLD was made through him, THE WORLD did not recognize him.
11. c. 1 John 2:15 The “WORLD” 1 John 2:15 Do not love THE WORLD or the things in THE WORLD. If anyone loves THE WORLD, the love of the Father is not in him. “World” here refers to a ‘system’ that is at work controlling the world at present, aligned with satan against God
12. The “WORLD” 1 John 2:151 John 5:19 “... that the whole world is under the control of the evil one.”John 12:31 “ the prince of this world...”Eph 2:2 “the ruler of the kingdom of the air,...” This is the WORLD that John is referring to....
13. “GOD” or “THE WORLD”1 John 2:15 is very clear : Either or ....Jesus himself said in Matt 6:24 (NKJV) "No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon.James 4:4 “... friendship with the world is hatred toward God? Anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God.”
14. The Christian in the world
15. the Ways of the Worldor Worldliness...‘Anything that keeps me from enjoying Gods love and wanting to do Gods will.’
16. NIV For everything in the world The — the cravings of sinful man,“WAYs” the lust of his eyes and the1 John 2:16 boasting of what he has and does — comes not from the Father but from the world. NKJV For all that is in the world — the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life — is not of the Father but is of the world.
17. The “WAYs” 1 John 2:16Definition of ‘lust’ Unholy Excessive craving for the Trinity : pleasures of the body. I, Me & Desire for something or Myself someone that is not yours. A desire to possess, to own, to consume without caring about the needs / feelings of others or the will of God.Need not always be ‘physical’
18. The “WAYs” 1 John 2:16a. Lust of the flesh: ‘Feel’ Goodb. Lust of the eyes: ‘Look’ Goodc. Pride of Life: ‘Think’ Good
19. satan’s “WAYs” have not changed since...1 Jn 2:16 Gen 3:1-6• Lust of • “... good for the Flesh food...”• Lust of • “...pleasing to the Eyes the eye...”• Pride of • “desirable for Life gaining wisdom”
20. satan’s “WAYs” have not changed since...1 Jn 2:16 Luke 4:1-12• Lust of • “tell this stone to become bread.” the Flesh • “showed him all• Lust of the kingdoms of the Eyes the world... ”• Pride of • “throw yourself down from Life here...”
21. The “WAYs” a. The lust of the flesh• The physical part ...• “Excessive Cravings for the pleasures of the body...”• Anything that will make us “Feel Good” even if it is –Against God’s Standards –Hurt other people –Hurt ourselves
22. The “WAYs” a. The lust of the flesh• Sexual sins eg: Adultery Fornication Pornography• Addictions eg: Alcohol Smoking Drugs Shopping Games ? Eg INTERNET ? Eg GOLF
23. The “WAYs” a. The lust of the flesh• Materialistic –What we buy –Where we buy –Latest, best, newest• Hoarding...• Gluttony...
24. The “WAYs” a. The lust of the flesh• Even in church settings – Need for “Feel Good” sermons .... NB: There is a place & occasion to encourage and comfort ...
25. The “WAYs” a. The lust of the fleshthe small voice within telling us ... It’s OK no one Something will know ...that feels sogood, cannot be wrong ... Everyone is doing it, it’s OKOnly once, no harm done, Do not worry, just once... God understands, He will forgive...
26. The “WAYs” : b. The lust of the eyes• Need to “LOOK GOOD” “mesti ada gaya” Preoccupation with status, reputation, social position, academic level, image, glamour -- sometimes subtle sometimes not. Concern over appearances Keep up with the ‘Jones’ Need to flaunt your success• COVETOUSNESS – “Thou shall not covert”
27. • 1st published 1951• 300 pages• 12,000+ products• 55 different editions• 27 Languages• 35 countries• 197 million copies/year
28. The “WAYs” : b. The lust of the eyes• If ‘others’ have it – I must also• If only ....• Affect all ages, both sexes ...• All social class• All educational classes even the ‘blind’...
29. The “WAYs” : b. The lust of the eyes• Can be “Inter-related”eg King David 2 Sam 11 Jesus’ teaching Matt 5:27Consider Job 31:1 "I made a covenant with my eyes not to look lustfully at a girl.”
30. The “WAYs” : b. The lust of the eyesIn Church settings• Need to guard against this...• What values are we teaching our children...
31. The “WAYs” : c. The pride of life• Need to not only Feel Good, Look Good but others must THINK GOOD of me • Craving for honour and compliments • The need to be acknowledged • To have a Position of importance ... • Fear of ‘losing face’• Tendency more in the ‘older people’
32. • NIV “the boasting of what he has and does”• NET “the arrogance produced by material possessions.”• The person who thinks he has enough wealth and property ... to protect himself and insure his security frankly hard to see the need for God... The “WAYs” :c. The pride of life
33. The “WAYs” : c. The pride of life• Happens even in the Church ... Position & Power ... Admit a wrong ... Decision making ...• Parable of Pharisee & Tax Collector Lk 18
34. The “WAYs” : c. The pride of life “Hi, Let me show you something several of your neighbours said you couldnt afford..."
35. The “WILLs” : 1 Jn 2:171 John 2:17The world and its desires pass away, but theman who does the will of God lives forever.God’s Will must be done.Rom 12:1-2...“... his good, pleasing and perfect will.”
36. The “WILLs” : 1 Jn 2:17Man’s Will - James 1:22-25Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like.But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it — he will be blessed in what he does.
37. The “WORK”“Knowing the TRUTH do not change livesIt is TRUTH APPLIED that changes lives.”
38. Resist Flee 2 STEPS ARE OURSTEMPTED WANT TO TO MAKEBY SIN SIN YIELD 2 SIN
39. Jesus high priestly prayer in John 17...“to be in the world and yet not of the world ...”
40. The “WORK”a. 1 Cor 6:19-20 Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore HONOR GOD WITH YOUR BODY.
41. The Question : How Then Do You Get The Air Out Of This Water Jar ? Question : How Do You SIN The Answer : Out Of Your Life? By FillingLifeAnswer :By Filling Your It With Water. With The HOLY SPIRIT
42. The “WORK”
43. The “WORK”b. Matt 6:8b “... your Father knows what you NEED WANT before you ask him.” Is that how your Bible read ?Jesus asked in Matt 16:26 “What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul?”
44. The “WORK”c. 1 Peter 5:5b .... "God opposes the proud but gives grace “Actually the pains to the humble." are just God’s way of keeping you humble”
45. 1 Tim 6:6... The “WORK”6 But godliness with contentment is great gain.7 For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it.8 But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that.9 People who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge men into ruin and destruction.10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.
46. The “WORK”1 Tim 6:6...cont11 But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness. “God owes us NOTHING Yet gives us EVERYTHING” CONTENTMENT IS A CHOICE