2. This IBM team agreed to hold an annual rowing racewith a Green team. Each team would contain 8 men.
3. Both teams worked really hard to get in the best shape.On the day of the first race, both teams were ready to win.
4. FINISHFINISHThe Green team won by 1 mile!
5. The IBM team was crushed in their defeat, but they were determinedto win the race next year. So they established a panel of auditors toobserve the situation and ascertain if there were any differencesbetween the teams.
6. After several weeks of detailed intelligence gathering, the auditorscould find only one difference; the Green team had 7 rowers and 1captain...
7. … and the IBM team had 7 captains and 1 rower!
9. Un-perplexed by the raw data, upper management showed unexpectedwisdom: they hired a consulting company to analyze the data and suggest asolution that would enable the IBM team to win next year.
10. After several months the consultants came tothe conclusion that the ratio of captains torowers was the problem in the IBM team.Based on this analysis a solution was proposed:the structure of the IBM team has to bechanged!
11. Like sharks getting the scent of reorganization blood, uppermanagement wasted no time in restructuring the IBM team into4 Captains, led by 2 Managers, reporting to 1 Senior Director with adotted line to the rower. Besides that, in a blaze of unrestrictedinspiration, they suggested they might be inclined to improve therower’s working environment by a non-monetary reward andrecognition scheme if there was improved performance by therower.
13. FINISHThe next year, the Green team won by 2 miles.......
14. The IBM team upper management immediately fired the rowerbased on his unsatisfactory performance.
15. A bonus was paid to the Captains, Directors, and Managers for thestrong leadership and motivation they showed during the preparationphase and as an incentive for them to find a better rower for thenext race.
16. The consulting company prepared a new analysis of therestructuring activity, which showed that the strategywas good, the motivation was great, the restructuringwas executed correctly, but the tool used (which was notincluded in the original data) was sub-standard and had tobe improved.
17. Currently the IBM team management is having a new boat designed;and to demostrate fiscal and HR dexterity for stockholders they alsocontracted a placement agency to advertise in other countries for anew (temporary, non-direct employee) rower.