1. BacklinksHow They Enhance Your SEO and How to Build Them
2. What are backlinks? Inbound links were originally important (prior to the emergence of search engines) as a primary means of web navigation; today, their significance lies in search engine optimization (SEO). The number of backlinks is one indication of the popularity or importance of that website or page (for example, this is used by Google to determine the PageRank of a webpage). Outside of SEO, the backlinks of a webpage may be of significant personal, cultural or semantic interest: they indicate who is paying attention to that page.(Source: Wikipedia)
3. Why Build Backlinks?• Increases Traffic• Increases Rankings• Allows You to Focus on Specific Targets• Longevity• Relevancy• Represents a Vote for a Website
4. Internal and External Backlinks• An internal backlink points to other pages on your website. For example, the phrase auto insurance on your homepage links to your auto insurance page.• An external backlink is a link from a site other than yours. For example, your Google places listing has a link (www.yourinsuranceagency.com) that points back to your website.
5. Two Types of Backlinks• NoFollow - NoFollow backlinks do not provide any SEO value, but NoFollow backlinks are a natural part of linkbuilding and should be implemented in your SEO strategy.• DoFollow - DoFollow backlinks pass link juice (the power of a websites link) to the website they are linking to. The authority of a website is directly proportional to the amount of link juice that a DoFollow link will provide.
6. Anchor Text Versus URLs•• Anchor Text - Anchor text is the visible, clickable text in a hyperlink. The words contained in the anchor text can determine the ranking that the page will receive by search engines.• It is recommended to build anchor text backlinks when you can, because every DoFollow link counts as a vote for that site.• DoFollow URLs still pass link juice to websites, but using anchor text is more effective because it sends signals to search engines to associate that anchor text with the targeted website.
7. Quality of Backlinks• The quality of a backlink is based on the webpages subject matter and the quality of the backlinks website.• Too much spammy content and comments are telltale signs that a website will not provide a solid backlink.
8. Where to Build Backlinks•• Forums - i.e. www.insurance-forums.net and www.ampminsure.org• Blogs - i.e. your website blog and www.wordpress.com• Web Directories - Free list at www.web-directories.ws/General/Free• Social Networking - i.e. www.facebook.com and www.twitter.com• Press Releases - through IWB• Bookmarking - i.e. www.digg.com and www.delicious.com• Local Business Listings - i.e. www.yelp.com and www.local.com• Article Sites - i.e. www.ezinearticles.com and www.goarticles.com
9. Where to Point Backlinks•• For the most part, you should point external backlinks back to your website.• If your backlink is related to auto insurance, you should point it to your auto page (which is also known as a deep link).• You should also point to other pages on your website like your landing pages, blog, contact us page and line of business pages.
10. Thanks for attending our backlink webinar. For more information visit our blog at http://iwbseotips.blogspot.com. See you next Thursday at 12pm CST!