Test 1 English 115
"'""...J _ I
Name -l-LlQ1j'a. J.e~a ColeV'
Date 5epfem bet' !t 0 If).OOq
I. Select the best alternative. Circle the correct answer. (10)
;-h'Ont4! bi/= was composed of father, mother, and children.
a. Single parent family 'i£ traditional family c. stepfamily
2.There was a tremendous increase of T~o ~<r
(Q ••. .forvt~ because women
started to work outside too.
~. Two career famtlv b. stepfarnllv c. traditional family
3. Many of these marriages have CorJ..ftd- because husbands don't do their
share of cleaning and child care.
a. Happiness b. loneliness .1ft conflict
4. With increased divorce the Si~~ ?a(,olvf- ~; ~tarted to grow.
* Single parent family b. two career family c. stepfamily
5. Most of these families are headed by ~orle",
~y a. Men ~women c. grandparents
6. Most of these families live under the YO)~y--~ level.
~ Poverty b. rich c. high
7. Because of high rates of divorce and remarriage, :rt..ef>.follih·~
started to grow.
a. Two career families ~stepfamilies c. single parent families
8.Stepfathers have conflicts with -.e.t.IJ~~vs
a. Smatl children b. their wives ¥=-teenagers
9.They have problems with the c1'.sc·, p)i /lie. of these individuals.
j!; discipline b. job c. attitudes
10. A conflict is 0 p'"obttzM
a. An attitude )p.a problem c. very difficult
II. Answer with true or false. (12)
~tLL 1. Many couples in the US decided to live together without getting married.
~ ((J.( 2. Cohabitation occurs in all sectors of the Spain society.
r--tIc;.( 3. There is a great disapproval of people living together.
-:rtU.L 4. Living together is an example of an alternative lifestyle.
T..u.-t- 5. There has been a huge raise in the number of people who remain single.
'YbOsc. 6. The social pressure to get married has not dedined.
"Fq~ 7. Marriage ls still a path for economic security.
. TW~ 8. Communal living refers to people who shar~ the same interests and
___ l objectives and live in the same community.
~ JW.(. 9. The concept of communes have been applied to cohousing projects in
'Fo'><. 10. There is monogamy when the husband has two or three wives.
rats<' '11. Poligamy Is legaJin Puerto Rico.
tUL 12. A serial monogamist gets married and divorce several times.
Ill. Write one related word for each one of the words given in the blank
Ex. sector- section
1. ideal ~
3. serial c::gv.'i ~5
~~ 4. scholar schoo'
5. universal ur.hJ!f[Ci e..-
6. independent ~t'.d
7. sociological S cx:.,fq
8. production . -pro dud-
9. criminality ~r i. M~
10. romanticism f"OMo.II.U
IV. Write a definition for each one of the underlined words according to their
use in the sentence. (6)
1. Criminality has increased significantly in Puerto Rico. Q. 0+
2. Marriages have many conflicts because of the lack ~ orb ~MS b
of communication between the couples.
3. Many children are growing up in households of ~ ~ C'C,tv--c
/0/ one parent.
/ / 4. Most of single parent families live under poverty level. """'"7-¥''O=r:=":"o:;...V"-_-'-- __
5. Women usually receive the custody of the children. CA~ d co..,~
6. Stepfathers usually have problems with the discipline of teenagers. cg:~ ~:>
V. Answer the following question in one paragraph. (lO)
1. Which is the type of family that predominates in Puerto Rico? Why?
~V f>u,e(4- Rc c> ,,'I'~cl.b~'oJ.c..-h:s 0 ~ ~ V0Vt ra~~ -ktlV: l.!;l_
- h iSo'S i +Ua. -h' O-n -0 C C. LHr s _'-U ~ V C1 ~ Lt.~ rct ~ ~1
/}Y' ... t-.<- 1u. 1M kr a+
d. ,'u 0 nt.< s '''' --"'-< ICA
i"" '" cl - 'I I-- i'i> -S!'-'-
0+ ~o.M;~-,v'''~ '" +~
f'0v<,,~ Hcu<. _
Total 48 points My total is Y7 . 91 % __ f