American Beauty Test Date: Name:
1. Lester Burnham reveals that he will die in the first few lines of the film.
2. Which character is the first to appear onscreen in the film?
a. Ricky Fitts
b. Lester Burnham
c. Jane Burnham
d. Carolyn Burnham
3. What does Lester NOT do in the first scene of the movie?
a. Have a fight with Carolyn
b. Drop his suitcase on the ground
c. Masturbate in the shower
4. When does Carolyn say that Jane can pick the music they eat to? The protagonist of American
Beauty. Lester is married to
a. When Jane cooks dinner
Carolyn, with whom he has one
daughter, Jane. Lester works for an
b. When Jane stops being rude to her and Lester
advertising agency, lives in the
c. When Jane dresses more nicely suburbs, and quot;enjoysquot; all of the
trappings of modern, middle-class
d. When Jane stops being late for dinner
existence. At the film's beginning
5. Why does Jane originally say that she is angry with her father? he is deeply and fundamentally
unsatisfied with his life, but by its
a. He no longer talks to her
end he has rediscovered an
appreciation for the beauty of
b. He's mean to her
c. He's mean to her mother
d. He says stupid things Carolyn Burnham
6. What does Carolyn say to herself as she prepares to sell the house?
a. quot;You are not a victimquot;
b. quot;You deserve successquot;
c. quot;You will sell this house todayquot;
7. Is Carolyn successful in selling the house?
b. Yes, but for a much lower asking price than she had wanted
Lester Burnham's repressed,
8. The women criticize Carolyn for describing what incorrectly? embittered wife. After marrying
Lester, Carolyn has become
a. The fireplace
passionately involved in her career.
b. The pool What meager self-confidence she
has is derived primarily from the
c. The kitchen
appearance of her own home and
d. The dining room the homes she sells.
9. Lester and Carolyn go see Jane do what?
a. Act in the school play Jane Burnham
b. Perform a dance routine with her cheerleading squad
c. Perform in a piano recital
d. Play in a soccer game
10. What does Angela fear more than anything?
a. Being unattractive
b. Being alone
c. Being ordinary
A typical fifteen-year-old girl, the daughter of
Lester and Carolyn Burnham. Jane is jealous of
her best friend, Angela, and angry with her
father for his seeming attraction to her.
American Beauty Test Date: Name:
11. From where does Ricky usually film the Burnham family?
a. The street
b. The front lawn
c. His bedroom window
12. When Lester tries to call Angela, Jane is:
a. Listening at the door
b. At school
c. Downstairs eating breakfast
d. In the shower
13. As the Fittses eat breakfast, what happens that makes Colonel Fitts begin acting strangely?
a. Barbara Fitts drops a plate
b. The phone rings
c. The doorbell rings
14. Who drops by the Fitts house to welcome them to the neighborhood?
a. Lester Burnham
b. Angela Hayes
c. Jim Olmeyer and Jim Berkley
15. What does Lester need to do in order to keep his job?
a. Win the Employee of the Month award
b. Write a description of what he does
c. Be nicer to his boss
d. Attract five new clients by the end of the month.
Ricky Fitts Angela Hayes
Wife of Colonel Frank Fitts and mother to Ricky. Barbara
seems to have been irreparably damaged at some point in
her life. She is a timid, ghostly presence in the house, and is
generally disconnected from the world around her.
Colonel Frank Fitts
Jane's Lolita-ish best friend.
Angela hides her intense fear of
The son of Colonel Frank and being quot;ordinaryquot; by inventing
Barbara Fitts, and the local numerous sexual encounters in
drug dealer. Ricky makes order to prove (both to herself
thousands of dollars a week, and to others) that she is
which he uses to support his devastatingly attractive to men.
hobby: videotaping the world
Ricky's father. Married to the timid Barbara, Colonel Fitts is
around him, and seeing
a man who believes in extreme forms of discipline and has
beauty in mundane images.
decidedly off-putting personal habits: he collects guns and
When the Fitts family moves strange memorabilia (such as a Nazi plate), beats his son,
next door to the Burnhams, and berates his wife endlessly. Although he appears deeply
Ricky quickly develops homophobic, we ultimately learn that he is repressing
feelings for Jane.