Social Business Strategy Required
A plan of action that helps evolve and transform
the thinking of an organization bridging internal
and external social initiatives resulting in:
– Collaborative connections
– A more social organization
– Shared value for customers, employees, and
• A platform for your personal brand.
• Carries your voice to millions of people who need
(and want!) to hear what you have to say
• A place to engage & connect with brilliant people.
How to simplify your social media
Ask yourself the 3 C’s…
• Where do my customers hang out?
• Where am I most comfortable?
• What creates clarity for you, your brand, and
• Twitter: 218 million monthly users
• Facebook: 1.1 billion
• Google+: 500 million monthly registered users
• Your new twitter name will be prefaced with
an “@” sign.
• Example: I’m @itsjessicann
• Add it to your email signature and business
cards so people know to follow you on Twitter
Optimize Your Profile
Step 1: Select
Step 2: click
Not your best look
• Don’t be an egg!
• Upload two (2) different photos:
– Background image
– Main profile photo
Tips on selecting a username
• Avoid same letters back-to-back
• Avoid numbers + CAPS
– mikethemusician vs. MIKE43251
• Choose a name that’s consistent with:
– who you are
– what you do
– who you’re becoming as a business owner
Find freedom + flexibility in Twitter.
Download apps = don’t need desktop:
• Twitter Mobile
• Sprout Social
• Used to GROUP topics so we can easily search
• Tells Twitter to group your tweet with all
others on that topic
• Used often for Twitter chats
Better than Google for delivering real time news
(e.g., citizen journalism)
• Helps organize who you follow (or don’t
• Streamlines your approach
• Drowns out the noise
• Private twitter lists lets you “follow” people
without actually following them
Step 1: click
On the left:
Step 3: Create List. Name Your List.
Write description (optional). Set Privacy.
• A re-posting of someone else’s Tweet.
• This feature helps you and others quickly
share that tweet.
• What it looks like:
140 characters in each tweet
• There’s an art to the concise nature of twitter
• Connect with others in a meaningful way.
• Create context with each tweet (why are you
• Choose each word wisely
– Use w/ vs. with
– & vs. and
Social Media Management Tools
(most have free trials)
Sprout Social’s Discovery Tool
Cleanup your twitter account
General Twitter Strategy
• Find relevant conversations happening within your industry
• Listen + Read. Then curate the content that’s relevant.
• Subscribe to blogs, follow others on Twitter, or add people to your
• Regularly share helpful, informative, entertaining links to articles
that your customers need
• Create unique, original content of your own.
• Gradually drive traffic to your website and blog
• Space is at a premium, so use web URL
shorteners (Buffer, bit.ly, etc.)
• Compel people to learn more about not just what
you’re tweeting…but the conversations you’re
• Create messages that are:
– real, relevant, engaging, and human.
The Tao of Twitter: Changing Your Life and
Business 140 Characters at a Time
-by Mark Schaefer (@markwschaefer)