tHesis
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in...5
×
 

tHesis

on

  • 503 views

 

Statistics

Views

Total Views
503
Views on SlideShare
483
Embed Views
20

Actions

Likes
0
Downloads
2
Comments
0

3 Embeds 20

http://nataliegrammatikou.blogspot.com 10
http://nataliegrammatikou.blogspot.gr 9
http://nataliegrammatikou.blogspot.com.au 1

Accessibility

Categories

Upload Details

Uploaded via as Microsoft PowerPoint

Usage Rights

© All Rights Reserved

Report content

Flagged as inappropriate Flag as inappropriate
Flag as inappropriate

Select your reason for flagging this presentation as inappropriate.

Cancel
  • Full Name Full Name Comment goes here.
    Are you sure you want to
    Your message goes here
    Processing…
Post Comment
Edit your comment

tHesis tHesis Presentation Transcript

  • φιλοξενία
  • r efugees people who are outside their country of nationality and have ‘’a well-founded fear of persecution People fleeing conflicts or generalized violence m igrant someone who makes a free decision to move to another region or country, often to better material or social conditions a sylum-seeker someone who has made a claim that he or she is a refugee, and is waiting for that claim to be accepted or rejected. Some asylum seekers will be recognized as refugees i rregular migrant someone who does not hold the required legal status or travel documents to enter or remain in a country u naccompanied minor girls and boys under 18 years of age, of foreign origin, who are separated from both parents and are not being cared for by an adult who by law or by custom is responsible for doing so. Unaccompanied minors can be either refugees, asylum seekers or migrants tErms
  • gEneral mIgration tRends
  • mAjor oRigin cOuntries
  • mAjor oRigin cOuntries
  • mAjor oRigin cOuntries
  • mAjor oRigin cOuntries
  • mAjor oRigin cOuntries
  • mAjor oRigin cOuntries
  • mAjor oRigin cOuntries
  • mAjor oRigin cOuntries
  • mAjor oRigin cOuntries
  • mAjor oRigin cOuntries
  • mAjor oRigin cOuntries
  • mAjor oRigin cOuntries
  • eU pOlicy fRontex coordination of intelligence driven operational cooperation at EU level to strengthen security at external borders or the eU bOdyguard
  • main objective of the authorities is the protection of the EU borders and not the protection of refugees a tougher bodyguard = more dangerous border crossing, since they won’t stop coming eU pOlicy fRontex coordination of intelligence driven operational cooperation at EU level to strengthen security at external borders or the eU bOdyguard
  • eNtry into the eU
  • 200 7 200 8 80% of the overall number of detections in G reece I taly S pain bOrder cRossing points
  • 200 7 200 8 bOrder cRossing points detections at the Greek sea and land borders = 50 % of the EU total 20% increase compared to 2007, due to higher detections in I taly G reece
  • eNtry into gReece
  • eNtry into gReece
  • poor living conditions, severe overcrowding insufficient hygiene/ sanitation facilities human rights are being violated no identification, no processing no interpreters no legal advisors no trained personnel slow procedures vulnerable groups receive the same treatment at the bOrders e veryone is arrested and given a deportation order, regardless their need for protection k ept in detention centers for unknown period of time w hen the center is overcrowded, they are set free unprocessed with an obligation to leave the country in 30 days mIxed population 1951 gEneva cOnvention uNiversal dEclaration of hUman rIghts n ot be detained or penalized e njoy fundamental human rights r eceive all necessary assistance f ood/ shelter/sanitary & health facilities t reated as persons whose situation requires special understanding n o racial/ religious/political/national discrimination c onsidered as persons before the law f amily unity should be respected s pecial attention to vulnerable groups p oor living conditions, severe overcrowding i nsufficient hygiene/ sanitation facilities h uman rights are being violated n o identification, no processing n o interpreters n o legal advisors n o trained personnel s low procedures v ulnerable groups receive the same treatment
  • at the bOrders n ot be detained or penalized e njoy fundamental human rights r eceive all necessary assistance f ood/ shelter/sanitary & health facilities t reated as persons whose situation requires s pecial understanding n o racial/ religious/political/national d iscrimination c onsidered as persons before the law illegally detained first degree asylum decision on police departments throughout the country if y es (0.01% chance), a/s set free with the pink card if n o (99.99% chance), a/s is deported, ignoring the non- refoulement principle, unless he/she manages to appeal in Athens, a difficult and expensive procedure aSylum sEekers when sEt fRee those who wish to apply in greece a re concentrated mainly in Athens l ive under very poor conditions a re exploitation victims (labor, sexual etc) r emain in the country for unknown –usually long – periods of time those who wish to apply in another eu country a re trying to avoid arrest and processing in the country a re concentrated near main departure location, ports and airports (Patra, Igoumenitsa, Pireas etc) a re trying to illegally leave the country through dangerous attempts l ive under very poor conditions a re often trafficking victims
  • who hAve aPplied aSylum sEekers a re housed in reception centers for a/s, for unknown period of time varying from several weeks to 7 years, pending for the decision location Responsible body Maximum capacity groups Lavrio Greek red cross 320 mixed Sperchiada Greek red cross 110 Families Aspropyrgos ELINAS / NGO 130 mixed Athens – Iolaos Greek Council for Refugees / NGO 11 Psychiatric cases Athens – Ios Voluntary project of Athens / NGO 25 3 (4- or 5-member) families and 10 men Athens – Stegi program PRAKSIS / NGO 20 Mixed Thessaloniki Social Solidarity / NGO 90 70 for families and single women 20 for unaccompanied minors Anogia (Crete) National Youth Foundation 25 unaccompanied minors Makrinitsa (Pilio) ARSIS / NGO 30 ( +5 ) unaccompanied minors Athens ARSIS / NGO 10 unaccompanied minors Sum 776
  • at the bOrders not be detained or penalized enjoy fundamental human rights receive all necessary assistance food/ shelter/sanitary & health facilities treated as persons whose situation requires special understanding no racial/ religious/political/national discrimination considered as persons before the law family unity should be respected special attention to vulnerable groups illegally detained set free unprocessed m ost people have a deportation order, which is rarely enforced v ulnerable groups receive the same treatment nOn-a/s & rest mIgrants when sEt fRee a re scattered throughout the country l ive under very poor conditions h ave no identity a re exploitation victims (labor, sexual etc) r emain in the country for unknown –usually long – periods of time a uthorities have the least data about them
  • gEneral pOpulation tRend eventually most people remain illegally in the country in this iN-bEtween place and time nO social/ financial/ legal/ labor rights
  • cUrrent iNfrastructure
  • m ixed population d iaspora p oor living conditions n o identity n o rights e xploitation victims n o time limit oLd-comers nEw-comers m ixed population d etained n eed for immediate aid p oor living conditions h uman rights violation n o identity n o rights e xploitation victims n o time limit
  • lOcation pEople With own cultural background With given character and potential by what means can they coexist with no iDentity lOss
  • pOtential nEeds climate/ resources/ energy potential/ geomorphology/ vernacular architecture s urvival during border crossing, p rotection against arrest/ maltreatment/ detention p rotection against discrimination b asic human rights assurance p roper accommodation p roper food/ hygiene/ sanitation p roper identification & processing call it sPatial
  •  
  • sOme tHoughts l Ighthouse for lAmpedusa/ by artist Thomas Kilpper ‘ A lighthouse with a maximum strength beam can provide essential orientation at sea and help to reduce the danger to life’ d etention centers are illegal a bridge project? g Reek/ tUrkish border interpreted differently a bridge project?