5 essential lessons for managing responsible Crowdmap projects Cause over technology: just because we have all the technology to make it happen, it does not mean we should and it does not mean the outcome will be successful; we cannot purely rely on itConsistency (and if applicable, longevity): what kind of messages are included, which ones are excluded? Set up a routine of veryfying and approving messages.Flexibility & adaptabilityCostEmbrace uncertainty (what it means to depend on the ‘cloud’)Ex. Dead Ushahidi
1. Crowdmap: Avoiding the graveyard! 1Ana Brandusescu, MA candidate, Geography department, McGill University
2. Objectives Ushahidi & Crowdmap: looking back What can you do with Crowdmap? How to run Crowdmap What is Dead Ushahidi? Advancing the Crowdmap page University Spaces & Espaces Lachine How to avoid Dead Ushahidi 2
3. Ushahidi: then and now Ushahidi: server-based; Crowdmap: cloud-based Ushahidi was used to collect citizen reports on the post-election violence incidents in Kenya THE example used most often for crisis mapping Mapping natural disasters (e.g., Haiti earthquake, hurricane Sandy) 3 4
4. Send messages via:1. SMS (mobile phone)2. Smartphone app (e.g., iPhone, android)3. Email4. Twitter5. Website (create a report)To aggregate and display your 5messages on an interactive map.
5. Crowdmap: running the show Advertising component: flyers, posters, Twitter, Facebook page, emails Managing manual geo-coded messages How does Crowdmap become a part of your daily life? 6 How does Crowdmap become the new Facebook? Do we want it to become the new Facebook?
6. What exactly is Dead Ushahidi? 7
7. Advancing the Crowdmap page So you created a web page, now what? How do you recruit participants? What are people talking about? 8 How often are you receiving reports? 9
8. University Spaces & Espaces Lachine 10 11 Pilot projects: university community, Lachine neighbourhood TCJL (Table de Concertation de Jeunesse de Lachine)MA thesis project supervisors:Prof Renee Sieber, McGill U. & Prof Sylvie Jochems, UQAM
9. 5 essential lessons to avoid Dead Ushahidi1. Motivation: cause over technology2. Consistency (and if applicable, longevity)3. Flexibility & adaptability4. Attend to finances5. Embrace uncertainty! 13 Is crowdsourcing more than a 12 way to outsource free labor?
10. So please don’t end up in the graveyard... 14