The Research Canvas
Opportunity recognition WORKSHOP
This work is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution Non Commercial 3.0
Use feedback from your peers and coaches
to improve the quality of your research canvas.
This activity has 3 parts:
Prepare individual feedback on 3 canvasses max from your peers
Group discussion and brainstorm about the feedback (45 min)
Rewrite you research canvas based on this feedback (30 min)
Group review (30 min)
• Select the canvases for the soapbox session.
1. Individual feedback
You have 5 minutes to review and rate
a canvas of your peers individually.
Focus on the following key sections:
• The context of the research.
• The research problem.
• The solution and its unique differentiators.
• IPR & alternatives are handled later .
Rating of the sections
I don’t get it!
I need some help understanding
I think I understand
but I need a little support
and can try this on my own
2. Group discussion
• Canvas author:
listen, take notes, explain and
do not get defensive.
share your feedback
Spend 10 minutes max.
on each canvas
• Share your rating
• Suggest improvements
3. Rewrite your canvas
Rewrite the 3 key sections of your canvas
based on the group feedback.
• Problem statement
• Solution with functions and differentiators
Take into account that somebody else
will have to present your canvas to the entire group.
Use the presentation template to prepare the soapbox session
Group review and voting
Present the updated sections of your canvas.
Your peers in the group review it again:
• Focus on the improvements.
• Take into account that somebody else will have to present it !
Assign the presenters.
Present your canvas in 3 minutes.
• Use the presentation template for the 3 main sections of the canvas.
• I understand this and could repeat the main message.
• I still do not fully understand it and need more clarification
Update your research canvas based on today’s feedback.
Post the updated version on the Dropbox.
• It is needed for a quick start tomorrow