Midterm Retest #1
1. Do you think you did better or worse? Why?
2. Do you think as a class you did better or worse?
3. What did you do to prepare for the retest?
4. Were you motivated to do better the second
time? Why or why not?
5. What was that motivation? Internal or External?
• It is useful to divide achievement into 2 parts:
• Both are necessary to achieve long-term goals.
• It is not enough to achieve only 1 of them.
What is motivation?
• Motivation is the desire to do things.
• It's the crucial element in setting and attaining goals—
and research shows you can influence your own levels
of motivation and self-control.
• It's the difference between waking up before dawn to
pound the pavement and lazing around the house all
• So figure out what you want, power through the pain
period, and start being who you want to be.
• Get Results
• Why Do We Fall video
• What motivates us is often hard to explain and
hard to measure.
• It is very individual.
• Different personality types respond to
• But, it is proven that people with internal
motivation are more successful – Earn more $
• These people try harder at their jobs, and the
labour market values internal motivation.
What is Volition?
• “Where there’s a will, there’s a way.” - English
• Volition or will or self-control is the process by
which a person decides on and commits to a
particular course of action.
• Volitional processes can be applied
consciously or they can be automatized
as habits over time.
• It can also be called, “Grit”.
• See Grit Scale.
• How Children Succeed
By Paul Tough