War of 1812
1. Rick Mercer
2. Make a chart with 2 titles: Causes & Outcomes
• Crash Course
• The Americans were annoyed by many things,
including the loss of trading privileges within the
• The British thought the US was a threat to the
British fur trade.
• The populations of BNA & the US were…(check your
• President Thomas Jefferson (1801-1809) stated
that, “Winning the war was merely a matter of
• “War Hawks” political party led by James
Madison (president from 1809-1817) wanted war.
• A Native Confederacy led by a great Shawnee
warrior named Tecumseh to defend its own
territories from the Americans.
• New England were against war – wanted to
renew their profitable trade with Britain & the
• British General Sir Isaac Brock lead British
forces. Died in the battle for Queenston
Heights near Niagara Falls.
• American General & Governor of the Michigan
Territory William Hull.
• Laura Secord alerted the British of a planned
American invasion of Beaver Dams
Causes of the War
• British interference with American shipping –
• Impressment (kidnapping) American sailors
• American expansion into Canada.
• British felt Americans threatening the fur trade.
Outcomes of the War
Last invasion of Canadian territory.
Changed no boundaries.
Confirmed the existence of Canada.
People of Upper Canada became more loyal to
Britain, and less like Americans.
• Americans felt more patriotic. Felt they had
fended off a strong military power, even
though they had larger numbers or troops.
• No clear winner. Argument for 200 years.