Flour - 2 cups
Sugar - 1 1/2 cups
Cocoa powder - 3/4 cup, unsweetened
Baking soda - 1 1/2
Baking powder – 1
Salt - pinch
Milk - 1 cup
Vegetable oil - 1/2 cup
Vanilla essence - 1 tsp
Instant coffee powder - 1 1/2
Hot water - 1 cup
Eggs - 2
Whipping cream - 2 cups
Tinned cherries - 1 tin
Chocolate - 1/2 cup, grated or chocolate shards to decorate
Two first steps
-First preheat oven to 175 degrees Centigrade.
- Add instant coffee powder to the hot water and keep
3 and 4 steps
- In a large bowl, sieve the flour, cocoa powder, baking
soda, baking powder and salt. Add the sugar and mix well
with the dry ingredients.
- Make a well in the center and add the milk, oil, vanilla
essence and beaten eggs and mix. Finally add the hot
coffee mixture and mix. Do not over mix.
5 and 6 steps
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared cake pans and
bake in the middle rack of the oven for 40 mgs or until
a skewer comes out clean. Start checking from 35 mgs
- Cool on a wire rack for 30 mts before inverting onto
a wire rack. Bring to room temperature. If the cake
has a dome shape, use a serrated knife and slice the
dome off and level the cake till it has a flat top.
7 and 8 steps
- While the cake is cooling, prepare the whipping
cream. Place a very large bowl and beaters in the
freezer for 15 mts before beating the whipping
- Place ice cubes in a plate. Place the cold bowl on
the ice cubes and pour two cups of whipping cream in
the bowl. Beat with an electric mixer at high speed
until stiff peaks form, approx 5-6 mts. Place the
whipped cream in the fridge till you start assembling
9 and 10 steps
- Open the tinned cherries and drain the liquid (cherry
syrup). Measure 1 cup of syrup and add 3 tbsps
powdered sugar and mix. This is to reduce the tartness
of the cherry syrup.
- Pit 1 cup of cherries, chop into small pieces and keep
aside. Reserve 1/4 cup of whole cherries for decoration.
11 and 12 steps
To assemble the cake:
-On a turntable, place a cake board that has been
lined with shiny silver or gold paper. Invert the cake
and place it upside down on top of the cake base so
that the cake has a flat top.
- Drizzle 5 to 6 tbsps of cherry syrup or sugar syrup
over the cake layer covering the entire cake. Do not
drizzle too much syrup as the cake might get soggy
13 and 14 steps
-Using a spatula spread a cup of whipped cream.
Leave a gap of 1" along the edge of the cake. It
should be a thick layer. Over the layer spread some
of the chopped cherries.
- Place another l cherry syrup, whipped cream layer
of inverted cake over the first layer and repeat the
same process with and chopped cherries.
15 and 16 steps
- Finally place the inverted cake layer with the flat
top and drizzle with cherry syrup all over and
spread a thin layer of whipped cream on top and
along the sides of the cake.
- Use a cake comb along the sides and create a comb
effect all around the cake. Place the cake in the
fridge for at least 2 to 3 hours at this stage.
17 and 18 steps
- Place the remaining whipped cream in a piping bag with
a star tip and place in fridge. At the time of serving,
remove the cake from the fridge and pipe stars along
the top edge of the cake and at the base of the cake as
shown in the picture above.
- Place a cherry on top of each piped out star and
sprinkle grated chocolate. You can also place chocolate
shards along the sides. You can decorate as your fancy.
And the last step
- Place the cake in the fridge for at least another
hour and serve. If you are rushed for time, you can
go ahead and serve the cake
- And the cake is ready !!!!
This is a Black Forest Cake
If you do all the steps right this is the final result.