Google Cradle - Hyper Island

545
-1

Published on

Cradle is an adaptable and scalable ecosystem that enables knowledge sharing between medical personel creating maximum impact with minimal effort.

0 Comments
2 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

No Downloads
Views
Total Views
545
On Slideshare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
3
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
14
Comments
0
Likes
2
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • Almost 600 million people without access to electricity and only 11.9% have access in rural areas.\n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • Global problems are best solved with local solutions\n
  • \n
  • According to McKinsey it will \n
  • According to McKinsey it will \n
  • According to McKinsey it will \n
  • According to McKinsey it will \n
  • According to McKinsey it will \n
  • According to McKinsey it will \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • Explain what a TBA is. “So in every village\n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • Google Cradle - Hyper Island

    1. 1. Aladsair Ben Alex Erik IsabellaCopywriter Art Director Father/PM Strategist Copywriter Ji-Ho Katy Richard Stephen MarcoTechnologist Mother/Designer UX Strategist Strategist Art Director
    2. 2. WHAT WE DO
    3. 3. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7Background Mobile Africa Global vs. Strategy Solution Prototype Next Steps Local Background
    4. 4. One Womans Taleof Maternal Mortality in AFrica
    5. 5. MaternalMortalityONE woman dies every minute from complications related topregnancy or childbirth529.000 die women a year10 million additionally suffer injury, infection or disease50% of maternal deaths go unreported due tomisclassifications. Source: World Health Organisation / World Bank
    6. 6. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7Background Mobile Africa Global vs. Strategy Solution Prototype Next Steps Local Mobile Africa
    7. 7. THEBRIEFHow can we use technology to improve the quality ofhealthcare for pregnant woman through childbirth andnewborn children (0-6 months) in developing markets orpoorer areas in developed markets?
    8. 8. 59% of maternalmortality happens inSub-Saharan Africa WHO (2010). “Trends in maternal mortality 1990 – 2008.”
    9. 9. And Africa makessense for Google
    10. 10. TOTAL AFRICAN MOBILE CONNECTION AND PENETRATION RATE ( MILLION % PENETRATION) Source: AT Kearney / GSM Association
    11. 11. “Africa is the fastest growing mobilemarket in the world and will be hometo 738 million handsets by the end ofthis year.”Source: GSM Association / Reuters
    12. 12. But
    13. 13. MOBILE BROADBAND CONNECTIONS AND PENETRATION IN SUB-SAHARAN AFRICASource: AnalysysSamsung / Source: Mason, 2012 Reuters
    14. 14. And when it comes to maternal mortality
    15. 15. “99% of all maternal deaths in 2008occurred in developing regions,with sub-Saharan Africaaccounting for 57%.”Source: World Health Organisation / World BankSource: Samsung / Reuters
    16. 16. “Sub-Saharan Africas populationremains predominantly rural (70%),and poverty is widespread.”Source: World Health Organisation / World BankSource: Samsung / Reuters
    17. 17. ALL IN ALLAFRICA IS EXPERIENCING EXPLOSIVEGROWTH IN TERMS OF MOBILE.BUT DESIGNING UNDER THE ASSUMPTIONTHAT EVERYONE WILL HAVE ASMARTPHONE WON’T WORK.
    18. 18. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7Background Mobile Africa Global vs. Strategy Solution Prototype Next Steps Local Global vs. Local
    19. 19. “ The West spent $2.3 trillion and still has not managed to get $3 to each new mother to prevent five million child deaths. The West is not stingy. It is ineffective.” Professor William Easterly - American economist, specialising in economic growth and foreign aidSource: The White Man’s Burden: Why the West’s Efforts to Aid the Rest Have Done So Much Ill and So Little Good
    20. 20. Planners vs. Searchers
    21. 21. “A Planner thinks he already knows the answers; he thinks of poverty as a technical engineering problem that his answers will solve and believes outsiders know enough to impose solutions.” Professor William Easterly - American economist, specialising in economic growth and foreign aidSource: The White Man’s Burden: Why the West’s Efforts to Aid the Rest Have Done So Much Ill and So Little Good
    22. 22. Source: The White Man’s Burden: Why the West’s Efforts to Aid the Rest Have Done So Much Ill and So Little Good
    23. 23. “A Searcher believes only insiders have enough knowledge to find solutions, and that most solutions must be homegrown. “ William Easterly - American economist, specialising in economic growth and foreign aidSource: The White Man’s Burden: Why the West’s Efforts to Aid the Rest Have Done So Much Ill and So Little Good
    24. 24. “Relationships can solve problems that money and labour cannot. Developed markets can offer resources and technology. Underdeveloped markets; productivity and distrubtion. Symbiotic relationships are key to success.” Joanna Lawrence - Global Professor in CSR and Social Innovation at Hult International Business SchoolSource: Lecture at Hult Business School
    25. 25. HOMEGROWN NOT TOP DOWN INSIDE NOT OUTSIDENETWORKED NOT FRAGMENTED ADAPTABLE NOT FIXED
    26. 26. Start smallin order to solve big
    27. 27. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7Background Mobile Africa Global vs. Strategy Solution Prototype Next Steps Local Strategy
    28. 28. There are 500 million women in Africa.
    29. 29. There are 500 million women in Africa.35 million of them give birth every year.
    30. 30. There are 500 million women in Africa.35 million of them give birth every year.We can’t reach all of them.
    31. 31. There are 500 million women in Africa.35 million of them give birth every year.We can’t reach all of them.So, who can we reach?
    32. 32. Midwifes
    33. 33. “In all countries that have achieved dramatic improvements inmaternal mortality, professionally trained midwives have been a key to success. They have an essential role in achieving the Millennium Development Goals to reduce maternal and newborn mortality”
    34. 34. But
    35. 35. They don’t have massive reach.
    36. 36. They don’t have massive reach. They don’t have outspread respect.
    37. 37. They don’t have massive reach. They don’t have outspread respect.So, who has respect andreach?
    38. 38. Traditional Birth Assistants
    39. 39. “TBAs generally hold a position of respect and influence within their communities becauseTBAs are culturally close to women in their villages.”
    40. 40. But
    41. 41. They are not trained.
    42. 42. They are not trained.They don’t have the tools.
    43. 43. They are not trained.They don’t have the tools. They don’t have support.
    44. 44. Both needwhat the other has
    45. 45. Q/AQ: ‘How can we use technology to improve the quality of healthcare for pregnant women through childbirth and newborn children (0-6months) in developing markets, or poorer areas in developed markets?’A: By improving quality for those that surround the pregnant woman.
    46. 46. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7Background Mobile Africa Global vs. Strategy Solution Prototype Next Steps Local Solution
    47. 47. CradleExplanation
    48. 48. Cradle Video
    49. 49. PROOF OFCONCEPT“This is a very good idea. I am trying very hard to connect all African midwivesthrough the internet so that we can share information”Dorothy McKune - Founder Alliance of African Midwives“The ‘ripple effect’ you are talking about has been tried and tested in otherarea’s eg: through school children with hygiene and sanitation messages fortheir families- and it has been shown to be successful- so  yes your idea isbased on sound principles.”Samara Hamman - CEO African Medical and Research Foundation UK“I like your approach very much.. it is more consistent with recognizing thenuances of local culture as well as tapping into the respect of local elders’Joanna Lawrence - Professor in CSR and Social Innovation at Hult International Business School“Your idea is beautiful and I believe has a future.”Stephanie Williams - American midwife with extensive experience in Africa
    50. 50. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7Background Mobile Africa Global vs. Strategy Solution Prototype Next Steps Local Prototype
    51. 51. South Sudan1 MIDWIFE 30.000 PEOPLE87% GIVE BIRTH AT HOME2.054 DEATHS PER 100.000 BIRTHS1 IN 7 LIFE TIME CHANCE OF A WOMAN DYING IN CHILDBIRTH13% MOBILE PENETRATION1% HAVE ACESS TO ELECTRICITY
    52. 52. NEXT YEAR 200 MIDWIVES WILLGRADUATE FROM THE JUBA COLLEGE OF NURSING IN SOUTH SUDAN.
    53. 53. WHAT’S OUR PLAN?
    54. 54. Arm them withGoogle Cradle,run a pilot project,collaborate, learn,and then scale.
    55. 55. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7Background Mobile Africa Global vs. Strategy Solution Prototype Next Steps Local Next Steps
    56. 56. We’d love to workfurther on this project.Let’s talk?
    57. 57. Thank You.
    1. A particular slide catching your eye?

      Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.

    ×