Mention examples of UNICEF – mass arsenic poisoning in Bangladesh caused by large-scale drilling of deep wells by UNICEF and govt, very slow response, Source headline “shifting the blame” – UNICEF not amusedWHO – an article about South African govt criticism of UNICEF/WHO JMP report’s “misleading” use of data – WHO staff member said publishing this kind article would damage WHO’s relationship with IRCA Source article on a critical World Bank evaluation of the Global Water Partnership, which has been picked up by NGOs, lead to an accusation by the GWP director was orchestrating a malicious campaign to damage the GWP.
WASHCost figures: US$ 36-358 for improved sanitation, basic sanitation US$ 7-26. Burundi civil war ended 2005 - 68-76% of all mortalities in Burundi could be linked to inadequate water supply and sanitation (USAID, 2012).
Stay up-to-date – news services and tools
Stay up-to-date – news services and
RNTC Multimedia Journalism & Water
9 Nov 2013
How do you stay-upto date?
Subscriptions or events/workshops?
Internal sources or external sources?
Paper or electronic - email or web-based
Free or paid subscriptions?
Academic or practitioner news?
Local or international?
Live, daily, weekly or monthly?
WASH only or broader (development, your
• Pre-defined or personalised?
• Third party or colleagues/friends (social media)?
New services and
Govt or interest
Citizen journalists Institutional news
Mass Media News aggregators
- News pre-selection
- Reputation monitoring, effectiveness of mass media campaigns, trend
Social Media Aggregators
- Reputation monitoring, effectiveness of mass media campaigns,
- select and present most relevant news by region, topic etc
Added Value News Services
- Summarise news, provide links to related news and resources,
include new events and funding opportunities, user interaction
(share, comment, submit news)
• E-Source - www.source.irc.nl/
• IRIN – water and sanitation
• Circle of Blue - www.circleofblue.org
• OOSKAnews - www.ooskanews.com
• Global Water Intelligence www.globalwaterintel.com
WASH sector news
• Low profile in mass media
• Professional media incIude a lot of PR
aimed at mass media, funders/sponsors
• No independent, critical WASH media
• Debates in social media and corridors