7. Classroom tip1.Have the students work in pairs.2. Have one person in the pair SILENTLY say13 or 30, keeping their hands on theircheeks.3. Have the partner guess the number bywatching the facial movements
8. 8Are you a person with a past?The sound of “ed”
9. 9Simple past– “ed”sounds not spelling or lettersed=soundsT ( walked)D (filled)/əd/ wanted (tid) extra syllable/əd/ ended (did) extra syllable
10. 10 Ed ending in Simple pastDo you feel vibration on the last sound ofthese verbs? Yes or no?Sail CookPlay WashVoiced=D Voiceless=T/ə d/(Schwa)WaitEnd
11. 11 Voiced?1) Stay–- voiced, ends in a vowel sound2) beg--- V?3) Cough-V?
12. 12 Voiced? Voiceless?1) Stay–--- voiced- ends in a vowel sound2) beg----- voiced3) Cough--voiceless
15. Classroom tip1. Write 10 verbs on the board2. Have the students work in pairs or small groups.3. Have the students make 3 columns on a sheet ofpaper.Put T at the top of column 1Put D at the top of column 2Put /ə d/at the top of column 34. Have the students write the verbs in the correctcolumns by pronouncing the last sound of the verb.
16. 16 So, can you or can’t you sing??
17. 17 can vs. can’tI can sing (Ikan sing) “wekan,hekan,shekan” sing Can is unstressedI can’t sing ( I CAN—t----sing.)CAN’t– is stressed Can
18. Classroom Tip1. Have the students write 2 things they can do and 2things they can’t do. DON’T LET ANYONE SEE!2. Have the students number their paper from 1-4.3. Have the students work in pairs to write can orcan’t on their numbered paper as their partner saysthe sentences to them.4. Have them check their answers.
19. 19PLURALS AND 3ED PERSON VERBSS or Z SOUNDSNouns VerbsChair run, go(Voiced) +Z BuzzzzzzzzzzzzzzNouns VerbsCat cook(Unvoiced)+S SSSSSSSSSSS
20. 20Voiced or voiceless?1.Wait–2.Boy–-
21. 21Voiced or voiceless?1. Wait– voiceless wait (s)2. Boy–- voiced boy (z)
23. 23 Final Exam! S/Z or /əz/?1) match-2) clean-3) book-
24. 24 Final Exam! S/Z or /əz/?1) match-/əz/ matches2) clean—z cleans3) book—s books
25. Classroom tip Divide the class into groups of 4-6. Give each group 3 cards with the pictures below. Say a noun or verb. The first group to hold up the correct picture gets a point.ZZZZZZZZZZZ SSSSSSSSSSSS /ə z/
26. 26sentence stress are key ideas1.-HE says he loves my sister.2.-He SAYS he loves my sister.3.-He says HE loves my sister.4.-He says he LOVES my sister.5.-He says he loves MY sister.6.-He says he loves my SISTER.
27. 27Do you have rhythm?
28. Jazz Chants- Carolyn GrahamHi! How ARE you? Fine. How are YOU?Hi! How ARE you? Fine. How are YOU?Hi! How ARE you?Hi! How ARE you?Hi! How ARE you? Fine. How are YOU?
29. 29I have a terrible sense of I have a wonderful sense ofdirection. direction. I never I always know which way toknow which way to go. go. Turn left. Turn right. This way or that way? I always know which way to go. This way orthat way? I know that it’s that way. Inever know which way to I
30. 30 Thanks for listening! Rae Roberts, Senior English Language Fellow, Lima, Peru Sara Meza, “Antonio Raymondi” School, San Martin de Porres, PeruE-mail: firstname.lastname@example.orgE-mail: email@example.com
31. Attributions Baby photo from Creative Commons by flicker. Photo contributed by Julian Haler. Hi! How are you?, is by Carolyn Graham in Small Talk: more jazz chants.