View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!Introducing SlideShare for AndroidExplore all your favorite topics in the SlideShare appGet the SlideShare app to Save for Later — even offline
View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new Android app!View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!
#2. When you want to ease
someone into a process.
When multiple steps
of a landing
Think of a
even without a law
That is a bad
Flash on a
• Loading delay
• Lengthy animation
• Design over clarity
* Unless you’re a firm that produces
expensive, highly animated, design-
heavy Flash web sites.
The problem is not that people don’t have Flash.
• 43K in size (loads < 1 sec) • Images load asynchronously
• Writing is text, not image • Sharp text rendering
• Google can index text • All text/images configurable
Economy of Flash is achieved through
Designer creates once. Marketer uses many times.
Multivariate Testing (MVT) is better
than A/B testing.
(Oooh, sacred cow.)
MVT isn’t better
than A/B testing.
Each has pros
But MVT has
had better PR.
Time to balance
A/B Testing Multivariate Testing
• Requires less traffic • Requires more traffic
• Tests fewer variations • Can test more combinations
• Apples-and-oranges tests • Variations of fixed elements
• Dependent elements okay • Need independent
• Easy to visualize tests
• Harder to visualize tests
• No risk of bad combinations
• Risks of bad combinations
• Can test multi-page paths
• Usually limited to a page
• Often easier to set up
• Often harder to set up
This kind of test can’t be done with MVT.
8.12% conversion 9.23% conversion 11.4% conversion
The point of busting
the MVT myth:
marketing > math
Choose the right tool
for the right job.
Interested in more about post-click
marketing and strategic landing pages?
Honest Seduction: Using Post-Click
Marketing to Turn Landing Pages into
Available on Amazon.com