«The decision to releaseand support open transit data online has spawned a new ecosystem of mobile applications» Alexander Howard, Government 2.0 Washington D.C, correspondent for O’Reilly Media
Saint-Petersburg Transport portal 50 000 installs http://transport.orgp.spb.ruhttp://transport.orgp.spb.ru/Portal/transport/api/gtfs
• QR-codes on the stops• forecast of transportation arrival• real-time timetable• game machanics to attract people http://qrasp.ru
Problem in transportation system is carsPeople dislike public transport because of delay and prefer cars. No cars - no trafﬁc jams
Imrove ecological situation Carbon (CO2) emissions.Harmful emissions are the cause of 30% of desease.
Resume People prefer public transport then cars. Transport Decrease trafﬁc jams. If people prefer public transport they use Ecological (and buy) cars less. Descrease CO2 emmisions. More pedestrian streets and spaces for Social and culture rest, street art and culture More commercial products and new Economics and labour services based on open data, more companies and more jobs.Opening transport data helps to make city livable.
How it could be? Let’s attract We should people and companies open data Need to promote data. Nobody don’t Let’s organize competition! use it. Maybe we don’t open data? Smart ofﬁcial Expert Creative people I have ideas how to use open data! It’s called I tell my friends collaborationin social networks!It’s called «network» effect
NEW YORK CITY Competitionhttp://2011.nycbigapps.com
Expert Government communityValue Society Very important thing Transparency Participation Model that works Collaboration
Political choice Today Russian Government should ensureunprecedented transparency. Government has hugemassive of data which must be opened in structuredmanner. We know that people are willing to createsocially-responsible services and expert community can help them: indicate direction, train, support.
LOCAL GOVERNMENTS• Analyticalreport on implementation of Presidential Decree of April 28, 2008 № 607 "On the evaluation of the effectiveness of local government urban districts and municipal areas" Inefﬁcient use of money in 2010 = 180 billion rubles Municipal areas Housing and Healthcare Education administration communal services 13,7 34,5 102,6 50,7 39,6 13,2 33,2 92,8 2009 2010 2009 2010 2009 2010 2009 2010 Let’s invest at least 1% in opening data http://www.minregion.ru/activities/monitor/msu_evaluation/
Key points of Open Government plan for US Department of transportation 1 2Public engagment model Open government framework
1. Public engagment model Increase Transparency and Accountability by:• Presenting in a clear manner departments information about programs and objectives; and• Continuing to release open data in a timely manner by proactively making it available online in consistent, open formats, while ensuring accuracy and protecting privacy, security, and conﬁdentiality. Apply Citizen Knowledge Through Participation to Government Service by:• Maintaining commitment to collecting and responding to public input on Open Government policies and programs in innovative ways; and • Continuing to create opportunities for public participation in problem identiﬁcation and idea generation. Encourage Collaboration and Innovation by:• Enhancing collaboration with other Federal agencies, the private sector, and other non-government organizations in providing mission-related services; and• Enhancing efforts to stimulate innovation from govenments data and information. Institutionalize an Open DOT Culture by:• Encouraging commitment to Open Government principles at all levels;• Encouraging a cross-modal, interdisciplinary, collaborative, and engaged workforce through enhanced communication, governance, and guidance regarding Open Government tools and programs; and• Maintaining commitment to data-driven DOT decision-making, by increasing employee awareness of open data and information.
2. Open government frameworkAssess: Understand the current state Plan: Determine direction and tie strategies to outcomes Implement: Make change Measure: Monitor changes in performance metrics Improve: Iterate on the plan and approaches to improve performance
3. Example of process for engaging employees PVAT - Public Value Assessment Tool http://www.ctg.albany.edu/publications/online/pvat/
5. Example of initiatives of US department of transportation