1. Mt Kinabalu Adventure Learning 1-5 June 2011 Canberra Secondary School ORGANISED BY X-TREKKERS
2. Our style Be Friendly Be Understanding Be Flexible
3. FAQ Which route are we taking up the mountain? Timpohon Gate – Laban Rata - Summit – Via Ferrata Walk The Torq - Timpohon Gate ?
4. FAQ Can we leave some luggage at the Base Camp or do we have to bring everything with us all the time? Yes, you can leave at the lodge luggage room before your trek. Do we have to bring along the food/drinks for the climb or is it available along the trek or in the lodge? You will be provided with packed lunch for the trail up to Laban Rata. At Laban Rata, dinner is provided at the restaurant and breakfast is provided at Pendant Hut. Water can be refilled at Laban Rata Pendant Hut. ?
5. Tips: WEATHER :- Sunshine to mist and cloud to heavy downpour. At night, below freezing point . FOOD: - High energy food chocolates, dried fruits and energy bars. TORCHLIGHT :- Preferably a Headlamp
6. Tips DEHYDRATION :- Plenty of Water. BLISTERS :- Smooth Liner Socks and Talcum Powder. Text ACUTE MOUNTAIN SICKNESS :- Slow Even Pace . SKILLS AND FITNESS TRAINING :- Twice Weekly. Bt Timah Hill/ Staircase : 3-4 hrs
7. MEDICAL CHRONIC HEALTH PROBLEM DENTAL VACCINATION
8. TREKKERS NOTE TEAM HELP TOILETS PARK REGULATIONS
9. IMPORTANT PHONE NO . International Singapore hotline : 63387800 Chartis Travel 24hr Hotlines : (65) 67332552 X-Trekkers Personnel HP : 96287591 (CK)/ 94876198 (Alpa) Trip Leader : 96893074/ 019-7127369 (Chew Leong Hai) Local Sabah Caretaker : +60 198103463 (Jimmy Wong)
11. Getting Prepared TO LABAN RATA CLOTHES :- Wind and Waterproof outer shell - Poncho !?? Dri-fit t-shirt trekking pants/short/bermuda (NO Jeans please) EXTRA CLOTHES:- Set of clothes in case you get wet along the way. WALKING POLES:- Relieve Strain on knees, Balance on Steep Slopes and Posture Upright. Hat/cap Can get walking stick at Park for about Rm3
12. Getting Prepared TO SUMMIT CLOTHES :- LAYERING BASE ~ THERMALS TOP & BOTTOM MID ~ FLEECE/ WOOLLEN JACKET OUTER ~ WIND / WATERPROOF JACKET - Poncho !?? Head : Beanie/ balacava Gloves : Waterproof (2 pairs if not) Socks : Thick Torchlight preferably headlamp
13. SHOES :- Trekking shoes/boots with good grip. Sunblock, lip balm, first aid kit, personal medication, heat pad, whistle, Paper Tissue, Plastic Bags and Knee Support. Getting Prepared Enjoy 15% at X-BOUNDARIES: 238 Thomson Road #03-59 Velocity@Novena Square Singapore 307683
14. Itinerary (Subject to changes): 01JUN AK6274 SINBKI 1735 1950 05JUN AK6273 BKISIN 1455 1710 Day 1: 01 JUN SIN-Kota Kinabalu-Strawberry Garden Hotel (Dinner onboard) 1500 Assemble at School and transfer to Changi Airport Terminal 1 AirAsia counter 1735 Arrive Kota Kinabalu Airport and transfer to Strawberry Garden Hotel at base of Mt Kinabalu (2.5hrs drive) – about 1500m above sea level. 2230 Check in and rest. O/N: Strawberry Garden Hotel Twin Room/ family room, chalets
15. Itinerary (Subject to changes) Day 2: 02 June Trek Timpohon - Laban Rata (B/ Pack lunch/ D) Starting Point : Timpohon Gate (1866m) Destination : Pendant Hut @ Laban Rata (3280m) Ascend : 1414m Distance : 6km Time taken : 4-6 hours Not required items for climb: eg clean & dirty clothes, sandals, can be left in BAGS FOR LUGGAGE ROOM AT Kiram’s Village
16. BAGS FOR PORTER TO BE BROUGHT TO HQ (If hiring porter – Own cost : RM90 per 10kg, additional kg RM10) BAGS CARRY ~ Thermals wear, clean underwear, fleece top, warm bottom, waterproof jacket, thick warm socks, extra tee, small notebook & pen, torch, waterproof gloves, plastic bag, own medicine, sanitary stuffs, shared toiletries, spare rations, small thermos
17. TO Laban Rata Attire: Tee shirt (dri-fit) & Long pants/ shorts (or as advised by teacher), Trek boots/ trail shoes, socks, Cap (optional), Walking pole (optional) EACH MUST CARRY OWN DAYPACK WITH OWN FOOD & WATER INSIDE Accessories Daypack, $$, Camera, water bottle, waterproof jacket/ poncho, longsleeve top (optional), beanie/warm hat, small towel (for bath), hp, wallet, 1 st aid plaster, panadol, lip-balm, own medication, energy food (choc bars, rasin & nuts, muesli bar, pre-packed lunch, energy drink), tissue/wet wipes
18. Path to Laban Rata Keep It Up, do not rest for too long
19. Helipad at Laban Rata Keep your spirit high, do not give UP!
20. View From Laban Rata 3273m Dinner at Laban Rata
21. Pendant Hut (3280m)
22. WALK THE TORQ: Who is it for? An initiation for those who want to build their confidence in via Ferrata climbing Grading? Easy Duration? 2-4 hrs
23. WALK THE TORQ : Briefing at Pendant Hut by MT TORQ trainer 3-4 pm ( Compulsory !)
24. Day 3: 3 JUN Summit-Via Ferrata-Descend (B/L/D) 1.00am Get ready for summit - Not feeling well? Stay back in Hut Attire: Thermals, dri-fit tee, fleece top, warm bottom, waterproof jacket (stuff pockets with choc bars, energy food, tissue, headache pills, redi-heat, camera), warm socks, Trek boots/ trail shoes, best gloves, Cap / beanie, torch (hand/head) CAN HAVE A DAYPACK FOR EACH GROUP TO CARRY FOOD & WATER INSIDE, THERMOS WITH HOT WATER, SPARE GLOVES, SNACKS
25. Pendant Hut – Summit 3-4 hrs Follow the rope and you will not be lost! Descend from summit by 6am if you intend to do VIA FERRATA
26. Summit View Shadow of Low's Peak
27. Via Ferrata – Walk The Torq 6am Descend to Sayat Sayat 7.30am Meet trainer for Walk The Torq
28. NOT doing Via Ferrata?? Descend via normal trail to Pendant Hut
29. 11am-1pm : Descending – Park HQ/ Strawberry Garden Hotel 11am After breakfast at Pendant Hut, pack & descend to Timpohon Gate with Mt Guide 4pm Arrive Timpohon Gate & transfer to Park HQ to collect certificate , transfer to Strawberry Garden Hotel for dinner and overnight O/N chalets and room Trekking pole comes in handy when descending!
30. Day 4: 4 JUN KIULU RAFT – KOTA KINABALU (BLD) 0800 Kiulu Raft (Grade 1-2) Attire: Clean tees, shorts/bermudas/pants, sandals/shoes Swimming suit Daypack: sunblock, insect repellent, camera, hp, wallet, small towel, spare of change clothes, snacks, water bottle 1600 Return to Kota Kinabalu O/N Courtyard Palace Hotel
31. Bye Bye -- See You Again!! Day 5: 5 JUN RETURN SIN (B,L) 0830 Breakfast and free before check out 1130 Transfer for lunch before to airport for Flight home 1710 Arrive Changi Airport and transfer to school