Intro to economic developmentPresentation Transcript
W H A T E C O N O M I C S T R A T E G I E S H E L P T O E L I M I N A T E
P OV E R T Y ?
AN INTRO TO
VIDEO CLIP QUESTIONS
JOHN LEGEND'S SHOW ME CAMPAIGN
1) What does the boy see in the village?
2) What might cause people in this village to have this standard of
3) Why might some people stay stuck in a cycle of poverty?
4) How could this cycle be broken?
WHAT CAUSES POVERTY?
low income low levels of
to own land
discrimination geography age
WHAT CAUSES POVERTY TO CONTINUE FROM
GENERATION TO GENERATION?
THE POVERTY CYCLE
2. Low savings
3. Low investment (human,
natural, & physical capital)
4. Low productivity of labor
and land5. Low growth in income
1. Low income
HOW DO YOU MEASURE
Economic Indicator What It Measures
Adult Literacy Rate % of population 15 and above who can
read and write
Primary and Secondary School Enrollment % of school-age children enrolled in school
Human Development Index Includes: life expectancy, expected years of
schooling, standard of living
A ranking of 1 is the best.
Gender Equality Index Includes: reproductive health,
empowerment, participation in the labor
WHAT STRATEGIES ALLOW FOR
JEFFREY SACHS GOES TO AFRICA
QUESTIONS TO CONSIDER
1) In what ways do you know poverty is rampant in the village?
What resources do these people lack? (What did you see?)
2) How might these challenges prevent economic development?
3) How might groups help to transform this village into a
HOMEWORK: STRATEGIES FOR
JEFFREY SACHS, “THE END OF POVERTY”