1. Yan WangDixie Magnet Elementary SchoolFayette County Public Schools, KYIntegrating Common CoreState Standardsinto Chinese Instruction
2. Chinese Program atDixie Magnet Elementary School Founded by FLEP grant Started in 2007 withkindergarten and adding onegrade level each year. By thisyear the whole school hasstarted learning Chinese. It is a FLES program.Students have Chineseinstruction every other day,each day for 30 minutes.
3. The Common Core State Standards (CCSS) Initiativeis a state-led effort coordinated by the NationalGovernors Association Center for Best Practices(NGA Center) and the Council of Chief State SchoolOfficers (CCSSO).The standards were developed incollaboration with teachers, school administrators,and experts, to provide a clear and consistentframework to prepare our children for college and theworkforce.*http://www.corestandards.orgIntroduction
4. Common Core Standards for: Mathematics (K-12) English Language Art (K-12) &Literacy in History/Social Studies,Science and Technical Subjects(6-12) Kentucky Common Core for Science& Social Studies Assessments (K-5)
5. Forty-five states, the District of Columbia, four territories, andthe Department of Defense Education Activity have adoptedthe Common Core State Standards.In the StatesKentucky in 2010was the first statein the nationexplicitly tied tothe CommonCore StateStandards.KY
6. Challenges for Educators Professional development Curriculum design Instruction Assessment Educator evaluation“Year Two of implementing the Common CoreState Standards: States’ Progress and Challenges”-- Center on Education policy, January 2012
7. Effect onForeign Language classes Reduce the Chinese instruction timeto increase the hours for reading andmath Cancel Chinese classes for studentsin the 3rd-5th grades Eliminate the opportunities for certainstudents to take Chinese classes Assign Chinese teachers to doreading or math intervention
8. Support the Implementation of CCSS Be familiar with the CCSS Collaborate with classroom teachers Embedding CCSS into ChineseCurriculum and instruction
9. Share the lesson plan online
10. Sample ChineseLong Range Plan (1st grade)
11. Integrate Math Standardsinto Chinese InstructionCC. K.MD.B.3Classify objects into givencategories; count thenumbers of objects in eachcategory and sort thecategories by count.
12. Integrate Math Standardsinto Chinese InstructionCC.K.MD.A.2Directly compare two objectswith a measurable attribute incommon, to see which objecthas “more of”/“less of” theattribute, and describe thedifference.
13. Integrate Math Standardsinto Chinese InstructionCC.1.MD.3Tell and write time inhours and half-hours usinganalog and digital clocks.CC.2.MD.7Tell and write time fromanalog and digital clocksto the nearest fiveminutes, using a.m. andp.m.
14. Integrate Math Standardsinto Chinese InstructionCC.5.MD.1Convert amongdifferent-sized standardmeasurement unitswithin a givenmeasurement system(e.g., convert 5 cm to0.05 m), and use theseconversions in solvingmulti-step real worldproblems.1美元 = 6.2 元300 元 = ？ 美元
15. Integrate Math Standardsinto Chinese InstructionPatternsShapesFractions
16. Integrate English Language Art (Reading)Standards Into the Chinese InstructionKey Ideas and DetailsCCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.K.1With prompting and support,ask and answer questions aboutkey details in a text.CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.K.2With prompting and support,identify the main topic and retellkey details of a text.
17. Integrate English Language Art (Reading)Standards Into the Chinese InstructionCraft and StructureCCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.K.5Identify the front cover,back cover, and title pageof a book.
18. Integrate English Language Art (Reading)Standards Into the Chinese InstructionCraft and StructureCCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.K.4With prompting and support,ask and answer questions aboutunknown words in a text.CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.1.4Ask and answer questions tohelp determine or clarify themeaning of words and phrases ina text.
19. Integrate English Language Art (Reading)Standards Into the Chinese InstructionCraft and StructureCCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.1.6Distinguish betweeninformation provided bypictures or otherillustrations andinformation provided bythe words in a text.
20. Integrate English Language Art (Reading)Standards Into the Chinese InstructionIntegration of Knowledge andIdeasCCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.K.7With prompting and support,describe the relationshipbetween illustrations and thetext in which they appear (e.g.,what person, place, thing, oridea in the text an illustrationdepicts).
21. Integrate English Language Art (Reading)Standards Into the Chinese InstructionRange of Reading and Levelof Text ComplexityCCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.K.10Actively engage in groupreading activities withpurpose andunderstanding.
22. Integrate English Language Art (Reading)Standards Into the Chinese Instruction
23. Integrate English Language Art (Writing)Standards Into the Chinese InstructionText Types and PurposesCCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.K.2Use a combination of drawing,dictating, and writing tocompose informative/explanatory texts in whichthey name what they arewriting about and supplysome information about thetopic.
24. Integrate Science ContentsInto the Chinese InstructionPhysical ScienceSC-EP-1.1.3Students will describethe properties of wateras it occurs as a solid,liquid or gas.
25. Integrate Science StandardsInto the Chinese InstructionEarth/Space ScienceSC-EP-2.3.4Students will describethe movement of thesun in the sky usingevidence of interactionsof the sun with the earth(e.g., shadows, positionof sun relative tohorizon) to identifypatterns of movement.中国是白天， 美国是晚上， 差12 小时。
26. Integrate Science StandardsInto the Chinese InstructionEarth/Space ScienceSC-EP-4.3.2Students will describepatterns in weatherand weather data inorder to make simplepredictions based onthose patternsdiscovered.
27. Integrate Science ContentsInto the Chinese InstructionBiological ScienceSC-EP-3.4.4Students will describe avariety of plant andanimal life cycles tounderstand patterns ofthe growth,development,reproduction and deathof an organism.
28. Integrate Science StandardsInto the Chinese InstructionUnifying ConceptsSC-EP-4.6.1Students will describebasic relationships ofplants and animals in anecosystem (foodchains).
29. Integrate Social Studies ContentsInto the Chinese InstructionCulture DiversityPOS-SS-P-CS-2Students willunderstand that diversegroups celebrateheritage and culture ina variety of ways.感恩节中秋节
30. Integrate Social Studies ContentsInto the Chinese InstructionCulture DiversityPOS-SS-P-H-3Students willdifferentiate amongfact, fiction, and opinionin relating historicalevents.传说
31. English LanguageArts – Speaking &ListeningMathematicsEnglish LanguageArts Reading:LiteratureLife CycleLanguagein useContentCultureDesign a Thematic Unit:The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleDays ofweekColorsCommonfood inthe USandChina
32. Design a Thematic Unit:The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
33. Design a Thematic Unit:The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
34. Design a Thematic Unit:The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
35. Design a Thematic Unit:The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
36. Design a Thematic Unit:The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
37. Design a Thematic Unit:The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
38. Reflections Support and reinforce the Common Core StateStandards in the foreign language instruction Build the Common Core Contents into the thematicunits Deliver the the foreign language instruction toappropriate grade levels based on the CCSS Effectively communicate with administrators,colleagues and parents about benefits and advantagesof the Chinese program in support of the CCSS
39. References Common Core State Standards initiativehttp://www.corestandards.org Crosswalk - Common Core State Standards (CCSS)Comparison to Kentucky State Standardshttp://education.ky.gov/curriculum/docs/Pages/Crosswalk-CCSS-(CCSS)-Comparison-to-KY-State-Standards.aspx Next Generation Science Standardshttp://www.nextgenscience.org/next-generation-science-standards Kentucky Standard for World Language proficiency Core Content for Science Assessments (Elementary)
40. Q & AYan Wang 王 雁Dixie Magnet Elementary SchoolFayette County Public SchoolsLexington, KentuckyEmail: email@example.comWebsite: http://wanglaoshi.wikispaces.com