Tigers don’t just see and attack. They sit back and they watch and learn all that they can before going after what they want.
Be cunning and learn everything you can before you start. You must watch and learn their strategies. Where do they win? Where do they fail? How do they rank in search engines? How many people link to them? ( http://www.opensiteexplorer.org/ ) What are they ranking for? What do you want to rank for? Do they have a strong presence online? ( http://freshwebexplorer.seomoz.o rg/ )
There are many tools available online that will allow you to collect data on your Competitors:
Eliminate industry buzzwords and focus on what your audiences will be searching for.
What is the point of your content marketing? Is it to increase brand awareness? Sell a specific product or service? Examples: Reach & engage with 30 single working mothers. 15% more hotel reservations using April’s coupon code. Engage audience and collect 10 common questions to answer on our blog
Things every business should think about before creating content marketing strategies: 1- Who do you need to convince or educate in your company? Do you have the budget? 2- Is goal achievable? Take steps now to make sure it is.
Do you have a team in place that you can trust to do the job right and on time?
What will attract or offend your audience. You should know this.
Get to know them so you can appeal to them with the right type of content marketing! What entertains them? What are they looking for? How old are they? What can’t they live without? Locations? What makes them trust? What do they need? Want? What makes them share? Which social platforms do they use? Etc…
Who are you and what are you about? What type of educational information can you provide to me to make me trust or choose you? Focus on interesting, educational info that creates trust This influences sales!!!! Make who you are abundantly clear to your targeted audience(s)… Trust is a critical part of investing in a company or product.
You have to create trust so you need to educate your audience on who you are. Who are you? What do you do?
Tell your boss (or yourself if you are the boss) that your company can no longer wait to get in the content marketing game! Tell them this is your opportunity to reach your audience, create trust, meet their needs and convert!
Tigers are smart enough to know (most of the time) when they cannot win and when the losses may be too great. They know when to walk away. They learn after the first failure.
Each one of these cats initially looks the same, but as you look closer they are all different. I can also tell you that their personalities alone make it easy for us to know them from a distance. What is going to make you recognizable or memorable? Content marketing can allow you to separate yourself from your competitors. Become unforgettable.
People are in a rush! They are working and popping in and out of social and if you want to grab their attention you must do it quickly! Own your quirks. Your uniqueness will make you stand out. Use what you love to make yourself more human when engaging online. Separate yourself from your competitors
You want to invest in marketing that is going to last.
1. About Me @SEOAware
2. To Be a Tiger You Must…1. Be Cunning2. Be Smart3. Be Aggressive4. Know When You Can’tWin5. Bring it With YourPersonality!
3. Cunning: Competitive ResearchCompetitive research is critical if you are hoping tohave a shot at beating your competitors withcontent marketing!Knowledge about your competitors is power.--------------------------------------------------TOOL!: Check recent presence online:http://freshwebexplorer.seomoz.org/
4. Tools to Be “Cunning”(Compare you vs. them with the tool data)• SEOmoz - Open Site Explorer, Followerwonk, Fresh Web,Rank Checking, Keyword Difficulty• Authority Labs - Rank tracking by city and zip code!• Raven Tools - Site Auditor, Research Central, CompetitorManager, Site Performance• Majestic SEO - Site Comparator, Site Explorer• SpyFu - Adwords / PPC
5. ***CriticalWhat terminology is your audienceusing? Collect this data.• Research – Google Trends, Google AdWords Tool, SEOmoz Freshweb• Analytics• Social Research – Hashtags• Reviews (SO MUCH DATA)More on this http://bit.ly/180395W
6. Be Smart: Create Attainable GoalsYou cannot start content marketing withoutgoals and some way to determine if you havemet your goals.Goals are what give your content direction.You should have multiple, defined goals.
7. Be Smart: Things to Think About(Before Hand)What internal obstacles do you have toovercome?(Who do you need to convince or educate? Do you havethe budget? Have a social presence?)Can you achieve your goal? How will youdo that?(What steps do you need to take now to increase oddsof success?)
8. Be Smart: Things to Think About(Before Hand)How will you use social?Research, planning & strategy.Your Team?Do you need an internal team ordo you need to outsource or both?How will you measure the effectivenessof your marketing strategies?
9. Be Smart: Know Your AudienceKnow your audience(s). Not knowing what they need orwant can lead to disaster.
10. Be Smart: Get to Know Your Audience(s)Research your audience!Social: Engage / discuss in afriendly manner (DON’T sell!)http://slidesha.re/19iDcxgSurveysPollsCreate contestsRead comments on blogs, videosand social shares (Topsy.com).Engage with your offline audiencetoo. Use this data.
11. Be Smart: Create Trust
12. Be Smart: Who You Are MattersInform without selling.!• Why would I want / need your product orservice?(Break this down for each product or service, WITHOUT SELLING)• Why should I trust, like or remember you?• Why are you different or better than yourcompetitor?• What can you offer me?
13. Be Aggressive:Even Big Businesses are Doing It!Many businesses still do not understand theimportance of content marketing, but it is time to getstarted and be aggressive!
14. Aggressive Doesn’t Mean Confrontational
15. Be Aggressive: Change theCompany MindsetYou have to change the thinking of those around you.Educate everyone in your company, not just the decisionmakers.If everyone understands the “why” you have a better shotat changing things.Show them how to integrate your online and offlinestrategies.
16. Be Aggressive & Be CreativeUse a combination of content marketing methods andmeasure their individual & combined effectiveness.• What works?• What doesn’t?• What has to happen to reach “audience A” and what hasto be different for “audience B”?Test, measure, retest!!!Failure or a lack of success is not bad; it is a learningopportunity. Keep trying until you find what works!
17. Be Aggressive: Some Content OptionsStudy – what are the best options for yourbusiness?Articles/Blogs – Quality, interesting, educational, should create aneed.Guides – Create something your audience can use & want to share.Images/Illustrations – Impactful, unforgettable, shareable!Infographics – You need a quality design with valuable information!Video – Should be interesting, not too long, give the viewer something& have quality visual and sound.White Papers/Case Studies – Useful, educational, no obviousselling.
18. Know When You Can’t WinSometimes you can’t have exactly whatyou want, but you CAN have a modificationof it.Example: Sarasota Real Estate vs. Sarasota Waterfront HomesThink beyond your industry buzz words.Focus on the keywords your customer wouldknow and use.
19. Personality: Tigers Have it InSpadesMost people say tigers all look a like.Some would say the same about most businesses.
20. Personality: Show it Quickly• Offer something interesting quickly!• The initial “draw” pulls them in…create trust.• Become unforgettable!• Be real. (see tiger design)• Separate yourself!• Don’t be boring!!!!!This is Thor
21. Tips for Getting StartedFocus on immediate & long-term ROI.Be diverse; offer more than just copy.Create a following on social by buildingrelationships with the audience.(What do they like? You have to give to your audience!)
22. Tips for Getting StartedGive to your audience; what do they need to know?Blog, blog some more and guest blog on quality sites!!!!!!!!!Quality, UNIQUE writing is a must!Don’t be cheap! You get what you pay for!Quality content marketing efforts should be a long-terminvestment.**Engagement is not about sales pitches. Educate and give;don’t sell.
23. Tips for Getting Started: ExampleCreate what people need or want.Explain EVERYTHING and educate in an easy andattractive way.
24. Lastly…You Can Do This!Branding, exposure & meeting needs should be goals.Be Smart!Discover youraudience(s)!Engage!Be creative!Don’t quit!Remember failing isjust an opportunity!
25. Melissa Fach@SEOAwareLink to PresentationSlideShare.net/MelissaFachEmailInfo@seoaware.com#SaveTheTigersClarence