1. Useful Online Metrics(Better) Business as usual…
2. Online = Business• Metrics need to be measured in context• What do you actually measure and do to drive a sale in your ‘real world’ business?• How does this stack up against what you’re trying to sell online?• Are your online customers different to your real- world customers?
3. Finding meaning… • How many achieved a planned result?I got 100,000 hits this • How many did your competitors get? • What was the total cost per hit? month! • What does this mean for next month? • What actual impact is this having on the ‘end game’? We’re number 3 on • What’s the total cost of keeping this position? Google! • Are you undermining your ability to be found directly?
4. It’s still business … manage it• If you’re harvesting metrics in the absence of clear targets … then you’re not focussing on actual results.• If you’re not clear on the journey for your customer on your site … then how will you guide them to buy or consume your services?• Conversion online is even harder than in person – to make the most of metrics you need to understand expected outcomes in your own business terms.
5. 2 minute tips• Check your online journey from finding the site to making contact or purchasing a product / service – how does this map against everything you plan in the real world?• Pick monthly targets, review and massage direction to meet these at least weekly.• Critically analyse spend vs benefit – is online providing the scale, cost benefits and returns expected. If not, change approach.• Make sure you can get found directly.• Know the meaning behind the numbers.