View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!Introducing SlideShare for AndroidExplore all your favorite topics in the SlideShare appGet the SlideShare app to Save for Later — even offline
View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new Android app!View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!
What gets shared? Social objects.Hugh MacLeod says:“Note to Social Media Mar-ke-ting Dorks: The hard currency of theInter-net is not Face-book “Likes” or Twit-ter “Ret-weets”, as flavor-of-the-month as they might be. By them-sel-ves, they’re worthless.”
What is a social object? Get creative. Going bowling, a charity ball. Art. Even if it’s Pamela Anderson pop art. A shared “interest” in _____________________ . Jesus, choir rehearsals, cookies, Xmas fund drive… The latest tablet. In Row 3. Look, point… discuss! Your family. A protest of the cancellation of a TV show thatdumped 20 tons of peanuts at CBS Headquarters Personal, sincere blog posts by a young CEO whohappens to inspire a lot of people (Tony Hsieh)… 2million followers on Twitter.
Contrived social objects? (But all good info is technically shareable.)
“The network is powerful, but thenetwork needs the node.” So PageRankhas been wildly misinterpreted, to saynothing of overestimated.
FreshBooks: How to be crapat SEO, and great at “winning”http://freefirezone.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/getoutofjailcc2.jpg
Free, free, free. Search is your funnel. Give more away, wider funnel. The attention economy: popular = $$
1. Spare, minimalist,understated brand. That’s the way to go.http://freefirezone.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/getoutofjailcc2.jpg
For now, search tools and even reputation tools still rely on cues about importance, text formeaning, and *the ability to get to your stuff*. (Same goes for users themselves!) http://freefirezone.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/getoutofjailcc2.jpg
2. Leave info architecture to IT, then combine with minimalist theory
4. Throw 500,000 crappy pages at the index all at once
Instead: broaden your view of indexing bestpractices… Sitelinks, URL removal, weightings, and more…
Google Webmaster Tools – links screen How many links to internal pages?
Google Webmaster Tools – links screen What anchor text? Is it a normal pattern?
Who cares if this page is indexed? (Actually, it does rank on the query for “klotzbachcleveland”… 55th… 10 spots worse than “Klotzbachgenealogy and family history research”)
5. Hide Stuff and Officially Call YourPages “Barrier” Pages
6. Offer bad user experiences whenthey arrive I came, I puked, I left: the bounce will get you
7. Buy links from a “link vendor” – becauseany old link will doInstead: do real world PR and ask for or incentivize links.Then, stop actively link building and build diversifiedapproaches to sharing instead!
8. Focus on elaborate website builds whenyou’re local. Try to impress your friends. LinkedIn; own website; misplaced effort conveying nothing!
9. Centralize editorial. Don’t train your writers inSEO, PR 2.0, social media. (Or, do the opposite…)
10. Speak at conferences where nobody tweetsAt #seslondon @andrew_goodman says: to be invisible,just speak at conferences where nobody tweets
11. Assume you can totally controlwhat they’re saying about you
Comments and feedback: different strokesfor different folks?
Don’t reduce everything to one or two key factors Prioritize, but be broad & comprehensive Develop a full checklist / scorecard “Google likes links” – yes but now what? Clickstreams & behavior – uptick in importance
How to fund this? Link building? Work on the low-hanging fruit,then stop Move $ from traditional to online (P&G) Take an Adwords display network holiday Move content production & PR from “top down”model to “distributed communications” Open up, give more
Some of my social objects “Best of Awards” – HomeStars.com Columns for ClickZ Book And of course… follow me at agoodman onGoogle+ to see full version…