1. The Business ofSEOLisa MyersCEO, Verve Search #SESLondon @LisaDMyers
2. About Lisa Myers• 11 years experience in Marketing, 6 in Search & Social• Speaker at Search Conferences Worldwide (SES, SMX, A4U etc)• Regular contributor to on and offline publications and author of several SEO Best Practise Guides including eConsultancy and B2B Marketing• Heavily involved in the global Search Community, founder of SEO-chicks.com and co-founder of European search blog StateofSearchAwards• “Search Personality of the Year” UK Search Awards 2011 + “Best SEO Campaign” for her agency Verve Search• Management Today “35 women under 35” list 2009• “Best Use of Technology woman under 30” BlackBerry Woman & Technology Awards (2008)• “B2B Marketing Newcomer of the Year” (2007)
3. Search is unique as a marketingdiscipline because its audience isalready looking for what you areselling!
4. • 1 billion searches per day globally• 74% of searches clicks on organic• Around 42% of searches click on the 1st position of organic and 80% within the first 3 positions• Less than 1% click past the second page@LisaDMyer
5. So why is it so hard to sell SEO?
6. Business of SEO BusinessDevelopmentNew Biz Client Proposal/Pitchin Retentio n g Up- scaling
7. Typical SEO Proposal ProcessClient: I want to be number one for“IT solutions” and get lots of trafficAgency: Sure, that will cost you £3k per month@LisaDMyer
8. Typical questions asked• What industry? Give me a little background• What’s the website URL please• Your top 10 keywords• Your competitors@LisaDMyer
9. 6 Months LaterClient: “SEO is not working for us, goodbye!”Agency: “Uhm, well you are number 1 and yougot the traffic!?!???”
10. The SEO industry’s biggest issue= OUR PROPOSAL PROCESS!Too many agencies take on client without reallyunderstanding what they need, or if they should@LisaDMyer
11. Sometimes saying no is as good for business assaying yes!Agency – Business/Client - Industry
12. SEO should not be JUST about rankings andtraffic, BUT conversions.To be successful in SEO, you NEED to earn yourclient money. Simples.@LisaDMyer
13. How SEO ROI is being tracked WTF?
14. ROI Measurements of SEO• 68% are using clicks / visitors• 53% use position• 42% (less than half!) use the number of sales• 30% use the value of salesSource: Econsultancy UK Search Engine Marketing Benchmarking Report 2011@LisaDMyer
15. Understanding thebusiness and its goals
16. Understanding your clients businesscompletely, not partly, but fully, is theonly way to earn them money!
17. The must ask questions• Market size & competition• Relevant keywords and current rankings• CURRENT conversion rates• Profit margins• Any plans to re-design• Would they spend money on conversion optimisation• How much is #1 rankings worth?@LisaDMyer
18. Estimating Traffic WorthYou will need to know:#1 What is a conversion worth? (lead or sale. For a bigger site this will be different depending on product etc)# 2 Current rankings, traffic and revenue from organic (ideally analytics access)# 3 Estimated Volume of keywords/traffic@LisaDMyer
20. To sell SEO it’s beneficial to THINKlike an SEO!
22. Keyword Tagging for ROI estimationDifferent keyword groups and modifiers arelikely to have different conversion rates.Brand usually has a much higher conversionrate than other keywords for example!@LisaDMyer
23. using Linkdex
24. Keyword TaggingNeed tagging slide
25. Benchmarking Value of Rankings Client Competitor 1 Competitor 2Keyword 1Keyword 2• Estimated volume (Google AdWords)• Current rank (you and competitors)• Traffic (link Analytics to get actual traffic received)@LisaDMyer
26. What is the higher ranking worth? Client Competitor 1 Competitor 2 #3 #2 #1Currently client is ranking #3 generates an estimate of 1,282 visitsif they were going to buy this traffic it would have cost them £6,36If they go from 3rd to 1st position the revenue generated fromthese 2 keywords alone is likely to increase by 390%
27. Spotting the SEOpportunitiesHow difficult will it be to achieve first position?The difference between you and yourcompetitors; actual SEO part of the proposal@LisaDMyer
28. To CLOSE the deal you have tothink like the person with the wallet..@LisaDMyer