How open collaboration helps disaster- affected people http://sinsai.info/
• What happened after the earthquake?• sinsai.info• 3 months after 11th March• What can you do ?
• Lives in London• In charge of international communication at sinsai.info (@sinsai_info_en)• A developer (Ruby On Rails at @newbamboo ) with No prior volunteer experience nor interests until Mar 11th 2011
• More than 15,000 people were killed.• There are still another 8,000 people missing. http://www.flickr.com/photos/dugspr/5541815267/in/set-72157626305323978
• Roads were completely disrupted.• Electricity and cell-phone networks were washed away.• Cell-phone were useless more than 24hrs even in Tokyo. http://www.flickr.com/photos/dugspr/5549191112/in/set-72157626305323978
• Data explosion• Data curation• Curated system
- Report by NEC Big Globe- 3/11 ~ 4/11- 73,694,790- Average Tweet per day (before) = 18,000,000 http://gigazine.net/news/20110427_earthquake_twitter/- Average Tweet per day (3/11) = 33,000,000- Average Tweet per day (after) = 22,000,000
- Before (31 % entertaintment, 25 % animation,7% transportation, 5% earthquake) http://gigazine.net/news/20110427_earthquake_twitter/- After (72% earthquake, 8% transportation)
- initially people were spreadinghashtags- Twitter announced official hashtagsand advised not to put more than 2hashtags per t weet. #311sppt is onlyfor people requesting help from thedisaster area
@takepon_jp [pls RT] Looking for my friends, 20 yrs old, height 150cm, black hair with partially blonde
@takepon_jp [pls RT] Looking for my friends, 20 yrs old, height 150cm, black hair with partially blondeCelebs with many followers acted as hubs to spreadimportant information
John Roos is US ambassador to Japan Some people were directly reaching influential figureshttp://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2011-04-11-japan-social-media_N.htm
“Good morning. In less than an hour, aircraft fromhere will join others from around the world. Andyou will be launching the largest rescue in thishistory of mankind.......” - Operation “Tomodachi” - http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2011-04-11-japan-social-media_N.htm
“Good morning. In less than an hour, aircraft from here will join others from around the world. And you will be launching the largest aerial battle in this history of mankind........” - Independence Day , President Speech -http://longtailworld.blogspot.com/2011/03/operation-tomodachi-is-real-but-obamas.html http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2011-04-11-japan-social-media_N.htm
- Confused information (Partially correct)- Lack of scientific backing- False announcement- Criticising / praising government, politicalparties, celebrities, companies- Joke, Racism Not all the information was curated properly. The use of unofficial “RT” made it difficult to delete the original t weet even after the information is false. Twitter announced to encourage the use of official t weet http://www.kotono8.com/2011/04/08dema.html http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2011-04-11-japan-social-media_N.htm
- Google person finder- launched after 2 hrs- over 600,000 records- Integrated with Picassa to convert name list fromevacuation Center into the system with crowd source.
We need help! We are stuck inisolation at Akasaka hospital and getting suffer. Please spread this information to the others. I made a phone-call to Self- Defence force and they said they would go help ASAP ...
• Geo tagged report using Open Street Map• Directly from the form & via twitter• Monitored , geotagged, and moderated by volunteers• Launched within 4 hrs