Leading issues with data:
7. Growth (complexity, volume).
State of the Market…
1. 36% have what they need (format, time, access).
2. 66% have shrinking decision window.
3. Average time to market (new data, dashboards, ad hoc):
Leaders 4-5 days
Followers 19 – 55 days
4. Single, centralized BI platform:
5. Self-Service capabilities (create, configure, collaborate):
6. Actionable BI, outcome manageable:
Aberdeen Group, June 2013
BI 1.0 BI 2.0
Software Driven Architecture Driven
Views/Virtualization Integration + Business Logic
What Tool ? What Decisions ?
Proprietary/Specialists Common Standards
Managed Development Managed Content
Static Data Model, Views Dynamic Data Model
Now that I think about it…
BI consumers more self-sufficient?
Ad hoc requests dropped?
Multiple versions of the truth?
Ready for growth in data complexity, volume and demand?
Reliance on manual Excel processes or tribal knowledge?
Costs and complexity?
Primary Owners – LOB
Primary Owners – IT
1. LOB Requirements (from Governance Model).
2. Enterprise Data Model.
a. Data Sources.
d. Key Measures & Standards.
e. Growth & change.
f. Business Logic.
g. System Controls & Interfaces.
3. Development Plan.
Consider the ODS – Operational Data Store
Realization of Enterprise Data Model.
True source of Operational BI (C-Level focus).
Time & cost to market.
BI is Content Managed, not Development Managed.
Security and Data Integrity.
Change Control and Integration Hub.
What a Tool needs, what larger audience wants.
Dan Hooper Lori Adams
Principal, Sales & Marketing VP, Sales
Integrated Services, Inc. Integrated Services, Inc.
1. DFW Business Intelligence User Community.
2. DFW SharePoint User Community.
3. ISI Data Strategy Session (off the clock).
Next Steps & Resources