4. Hard Problem: Capacity Management
3 out of 4 cases it is going to be wrong. We
tend to build in the Safe to Wasteful zones
Doing it right requires Extreme Agility.
5. Capacity management
• Capacity management
• Has been a hard problem across the industry
• Highly underutilized infrastructure
• Typical average CPU usage is 10%-20%
• Higher utilization is key to infrastructure investment ROI
• Multi tenancy and Resource pooling is a necessity to increasing utilization
• Usage metering and billing become very important in resource pooled
6. Infrastructure Management
• Managing disparate resources spread all over the globe is a hard
• How do you get visibility into all the resources you have?
• How do you maximize capacity utilization?
• How do you react to changing demands quickly?
• How do you manage across your own resources and public cloud?
• How do you do this in near real time?
Need A Good infrastructure management Platform
7. Migration into future state
• Current legacy
• Legacy processes
• Need to run current business while evolving to future state
• Need to maintain SLA
Invest/innovate in new while running current platform!
8. CLOUD – WHAT IS IT TO YOU?
9. Cloud capabilities
NIST definition of cloud
On Demand Self-Service
Rapid Elasticity and Scalability
Usage metering and Chargeback
10. Key components of cloud
H/W & Virtualization = Engine
Cloud Services = Chassis, Body
Management Tools =
Dashboard, controls, Steering
12. Typical challenges
Many Resource Pools
Possibly private cloud
Lack of comprehensive
Lack of governance due to
Lack of standardization
13. Evaluation Approach
• Detailed RFP for evaluation (akin to Job Description)
• Operational and functional use cases
• Business & Technical success criteria
• Score RFP (akin to short list candidates)
• Conduct POCs (akin to onsite interviews)
• Setup Demo/POC environments
• Execute use cases on working platform. Seeing is believing.
Create options! Options provide negotiation power.
14. Use case areas
• Tenant Management
• Create a private cloud and register a Tenant
• Assign granular access to cloud services for a User/Tenant including
• Service Management
• Self-Service Portal/API
• Service Catalog
• Create Instances of different sizes and types
• Automation of creation/provisioning of cloud, Instances and Services
• Multi-Tenancy through Security Groups
• Auto Scale out/down
15. Use case areas
• Automate server builds
• Automate application deployment workflows
• Track Usage of service
• Cloud based pricing showback/chargeback
• Infrastructure and App Monitoring
• Resource Utilization
• Asset Management
• Ease of adding/removing cloud resources
• Resource view across all clouds.
• High Availability
• Shared storage/Share-nothing live migration
• Auto migration of instances
16. Single Pane Management
Inventory of all assets in
Visibility into workloads
Visibility into resource