A digital media workshop by Inner Ear
• Inner Ear was established in 2000
• Radio Magnetic began broadcast in 2001
‣ UK's longest running internet radio station
‣ Alternative music shows, features, interviews and
• Create content for arts projects and cultural organisations
• Communicate content through social media
• Consult on, and train people in, use of digital media
• Making programmes since 2001
• Working with streaming media since 2000
• Podcasting since 2005
• Tune Up
‣ Tour previews
‣ Originally tour diaries
‣ Interviews by Skype and in person
‣ Music clips
‣ Session recordings
• Glasgow Jazz Festival
‣ Gig previews
‣ Examples of music
• Foot Stompin'
Planning a Programme
• Objective: why are you making the programme? To
communicate a message of some kind? If so, what is it?
• Audience: who is it aimed at, what are their interests?
• Episode planning:
‣ Content: what will the programme contain?
‣ Style: presenter lead? Music only? Interview-based?
‣ Format: documentary? Profile? Session? Drama?
‣ Copyright: gaining permission, licences and royalties
• Series planning:
‣ Story arc
‣ Episode format
‣ Finite in indefinite
‣ Mobile phone (some are now pretty good)
‣ Portable digital recorders: Edirol R09, Zoom H1,
H2 and H4, Line 6 Backtrack+Mic, iPhone etc.
‣ Microphones (studio) and headsets (for Skype)
‣ Indoors or outside?
‣ Quiet or noisy?
‣ Microphone placement
‣ Desk or live sound?
• File management:
‣ Saving, naming and cataloguing
‣ File formats and quality
‣ Storage and backup
• Recording links
‣ In the studio
‣ On location
‣ Scripted or off the cuff?
‣ Intro and outro
‣ Continuity links
‣ Throw forward to what's coming up
‣ Include hooks and keywords
• File formats:
• Recommended bit rates (for MP3):
o 128K stereo
o 64K mono
‣ iTunes, Podcast Alley, etc.
‣ Find using Hype Machine and Shuffler
‣ Build up relationships with comments
• Social Media
‣ Facebook profiles, pages and groups
‣ Attracting Twitter followers, retweets, using #hashtags
‣ Promote to publications
‣ PPC (Google and Facebook)