1. A GLOBAL VIEW OF MOBILE ADVERTISING: Middle East Regional Summary Q3 2011 InMobi Mobile Insights - Network Data Release date: October 25th, 2011
2. ABOUT THE RESEARCHProject BackgroundAfter launching in 2007 in Asia, InMobi quickly grew to become the worlds largest independentmobile advertising network. In the third quarter of 2011, we served 138.4 billion impressions in 165markets worldwide. With a physical presence in 5 continents, over 5,500 publisher partners, and abroad, independent market footprint, InMobi is well positioned to provide an objective,comprehensive, and representative view of the mobile advertising market.Research ObjectivesWe have three goals with this research:1. Help educate the market. Statistics and information about the state of mobile advertising are lacking in most regions of the world.2. Track consumer opinions regarding mobile advertising. With any emerging medium, the consumer perspective is critical to overall market success. We see a need for trending across regions in this area.3. Collaborate with industry thought leaders to increase market insight and improve information quality ongoing. As a global independent company, we value partnerships that will strengthen our understanding of the market. Researchers, thought-leaders, and analysts are encouraged to contact us and apply for full partner access. Beginning July 2011, InMobi is moving towards Contact Information quarterly data views which will highlight broader www.inmobi.com/research industry trends and provide an overview of the email@example.com global mobile advertising market. Twitter: @inmobi
3. NETWORK DATASpecificationsData in this report are sourced from our global mobile advertising network which served 138.4 billionimpressions in the third quarter of 2011. With 165 countries receiving over 50.4 billion impressions inSeptember, we are able to claim one of the broadest and most representative networks in the world. Exactspecifications are as follows:• Global Available Impressions in Quarter 3, 2011: 138.4 billion• Regions Represented: Africa, Asia Pacific, Europe, Middle East, North America, and South America• Countries Represented: 131 countries with over 10 million impressions per month• Base Measure: Available Impressions• Reports: Market Summary, Manufacturer Share, OS Share, and Top Handsets & Connected Devices• Time Periods: Q2 2011 (April – June 2011), Q3 2011 (July – September 2011)• Comparisons: Q3 2011 versus Q2 2011RepresentationInMobi is committed to an independent and transparent leadership position in mobile advertising. With that in mind,the following issues are present in this data.Mobile Advertising Market Definition: This report covers mobile display advertising only including both Mobile Web(WAP) and APP. SMS/Text and Search are NOT included in this synopsis.Scale and Time In Market: Representation within the network is a function of the both scale and time in market.Readers can expect more fluctuation and variance in younger, smaller markets for the company.Publisher Mix: As with any ad network, market representation is a function of the publisher mix. We have over5,000 publishers of all sizes and content types, but changes to the publisher mix in a given market could impact thedata.Advertiser Mix: Similar to publisher mix, the advertiser mix could impact the numbers in our network, although to amuch lesser extent than publishers.
4. MIDDLE EAST SUMMARYMiddle East Regional Profile: Q3 2011 Middle East mobile impressions grew by 38.3% over the past quarter on the InMobi network. " InMobi now serves over 5.4 billion impressions per quarter in the Middle East. The volume of mobile impressions in the Middle East signifies the reach mobile devices can offer local, regional and global brands. Mobile ad growth is mostly driven by smartphones. " Smartphone impressions outnumber advanced phone impressions by more than 2-to-1, and grew at a faster rate. Available Impression Volume & Composition Global Q2 2011 Q3 2011 % Chg Development Over 3 quarters of ads were Index delivered via mobile web. Total 3,910,416,210 5,407,976,018 38.3% n/aSmartphone 2,547,997,831 3,796,059,456 49.0% 134 " While app impressions continue to grow,Advanced 1,362,418,379 1,611,916,562 18.3% 60 mobile web impressions are driving growthMobile Web 2,820,348,353 4,067,687,298 44.2% 95 App 1,090,067,857 1,340,288,720 23.0% 118 Source: InMobi Mobile Insights – Network Research, Q3 2011
5. MIDDLE EAST Middle East OS Share: Q3 2011 Available Impressions Global 7% Symbian OS OS Impressions % Share Pt. Chg Development 7% Index iPhone OS Symbian OS 2,217,600,715 41.0% +2.5 233 10% 41% Android iPhone OS 1,114,162,926 20.6% -9.8 187 RIM OS Android 769,935,929 14.2% +8.5 63 Nokia OS 14% RIM OS 521,370,476 9.6% +3.3 101 Others Nokia OS 402,098,848 7.4% -1.7 41 Others 382,807,124 7.1% -2.8 n/a 21% iPhone OS impressions fell by almost 10 points, while Android impressions increasedby 8.5 points." Symbian OS remains the top platform with a 2.5 point increase since Q2." Android impressions are still low compared to the global index. Source: InMobi Mobile Insights – Network Research, Q3 2011
6. MIDDLE EASTMiddle East Manufacturer Share: Q3 2011 Available Impressions Global Manufacturer Impressions % Share Pt. Chg Development 2% 2% Index Nokia Nokia 2,602,177,411 48.1% +0.8 135 4% Apple Apple 1,114,162,926 20.6% -9.8 187 10% 683,124,831 +6.3 Samsung Samsung 12.6% 71 RIM RIM 521,370,476 9.6% +3.3 101 48% 13% SonyEricsson SonyEricsson 238,581,754 4.4% -1.2 78 HTC HTC 121,192,068 2.2% +0.8 38 Others Others 127,366,551 2.4% -0.2 n/a 21% Apple fell by 9.8 share points in Q3, increasing the gap with Nokia, the top manufacturer in the region by ad impressions. " Samsung and RIM posted modest increases. Source: InMobi Mobile Insights – Network Research, Q3 2011
7. MIDDLE EASTMiddle East Handset and Connected Device Detail: Q3 2011 Global Handset Impressions % Share Pt. Chg Development Index Apple iPhone 4 354,618,882 6.6% +0.8 159 Apple iPhone 3G 346,222,093 6.4% +2.2 849 Samsung GT-I9000 219,341,895 4.1% +1.3 342 Nokia E63 209,261,777 3.9% +0.5 350 Apple iPod Generation IV 191,712,376 3.5% +0.8 243 Nokia E71 171,666,580 3.2% +0.2 493 Nokia N73 161,706,306 3.0% -0.1 237 Apple iPad I 154,235,665 2.9% +0.4 207 RIM BlackBerry 8520 152,786,478 2.8% +0.4 95 Samsung GT-P1000 152,502,475 2.8% +2.8 273 Nokia E5-00 148,618,772 2.7% +0.8 992 Nokia 6300 131,662,097 2.4% -1.0 135 Nokia 5800d 128,348,555 2.4% +0.5 384 Nokia 6120c 119,506,862 2.2% -0.2 273 Nokia E72 118,490,436 2.2% +0.4 824The Apple iPhone 4 and iPhone 3G are the top handsets in the region by share ofimpressions." iPhone 3G impressions in particular over-index in the Middle East. Source: InMobi Mobile Insights – Network Research, Q3 2011
8. MIDDLE EAST Middle East Summary: Q3 2011 Top 5 Manufacturers: % Share of Available Impressions Available Impression Volume & Composition Q2 2011 Q3 2011 Pt. Chg Q2 2011 Q3 2011 % Chg Nokia 47.3% 48.1% +0.8 Total 3,910,416,210 5,407,976,018 38.3% Apple 30.4% 20.6% -9.8Smartphone 2,547,997,831 3,796,059,456 49.0% Samsung 6.4% 12.6% +6.3Advanced 1,362,418,379 1,611,916,562 18.3% RIM 6.3% 9.6% +3.3Mobile Web 2,820,348,353 4,067,687,298 44.2% SonyEricsson 5.6% 4.4% -1.2 App 1,090,067,857 1,340,288,720 23.0% Top Countries within Region: % Share of Available Top 3 OS Systems: % Share of Available Impressions Impressions Q2 2011 Q3 2011 Pt. Chg Q3 2011 Pt. Chg Symbian OS 38.5% 41.0% +2.5 Saudi Arabia 44.4% +2.7 UAE 13.6% +0.9 iPhone OS 30.4% 20.6% -9.8 Iran 11.9% -2.8 Android 5.7% 14.2% +8.5 " InMobi’s Middle East network grew by 38.3% impressions into Q3, mostly driven by Smartphones. " Within the region, impressions in Saudi Arabia grew the most. " Apple iOS share of impressions fell while Android share increased. Source: InMobi Mobile Insights – Network Research, Q3 2011
9. MEASURES AND TERM DEFINITIONSMeasures:Available Impressions: The total number of ads requests made to the InMobi network% Share (of Available Impressions): The % of total available impressions in the specified region allocated to the inventory type, device,manufacturer, or OS under analysis.Global Development Index: An index of the % share of the inventory type, device, manufacturer, or OS under analysis in the specifiedregion or country relative to that same inventory type, device, manufacturer, or OS share globally.Regional Development Index: Global Development Index: An index of the % share of the inventory type, device, manufacturer, or OSunder analysis in the specified country relative to that same inventory type, device, manufacturer, or OS share in the relevant region.% Chg: The percentage change in absolute value between two different time periods.Pt Chg: The difference between two share percentages for an inventory type, device, manufacturer, or OS under analysis in different timeperiods.Definitions:Smartphone: Any impression served to an iPhone OS, Android OS, RIM OS, webOS, Windows Mobile OS, Linux Smartphone OS, PalmOS, Nokia N & E Series Phones, or Samsung Bada.Advanced: Any impression served to any OS or handset not included in the smart phone definition above.Mobile Web: Any impression served using Wireless Application Protocol (WAP) which is an open international standard for application-layer network communications in a wireless-communication environment.App (Application): Any impressions served to a mobile application resident on the consumer mobile device.Carrier: The mobile network operator (MNO), carrier service provider (CSP), wireless service provider, wireless carrier, or cellularcompany providing service for mobile phone subscriber served the impression.OS (Operating System): The system software (programs and data) running on the mobile devices that manages the hardware andprovides common services for execution of various application software receiving the impression.Handsets and Connected Device: The make and model of the mobile device receiving the impression.Manufacturer: The OEM manufacturer of the mobile device receiving the impression.Other: An aggregation of any remaining impressions not specifically detailed previously. Typically an aggregation of everything under 1%share.InMobi Regional Definitions:InMobi defines all regions per Wikipedia with the following modifications:“Asia Pacific” includes the 15 Oceania countries as listed in Wikipedia.“South America” includes South & Central Americas as listed in Wikipedia.
10. NEXT STEPSThis data is part of a series of network reports that are released monthly.Additional regions and markets will be released throughout the quarter.Release ScheduleOnce a quarter InMobi will release a full data report which will include global, regional and countrydata views. The next full release is planned for mid January. Infographics with monthly data will beavailable in November and December. Monthly data updates including key information by market willbe released via our mailing lists and website.While we move to a quarterly release schedule, we will still continue to release insightful data on keymarkets across regions on a monthly basis. These releases will shed light on emerging trends andunique developments specific to those key markets.Open Source Research: Getting InvolvedObjective industry analysts and thought-leaders are encouraged to comment, question, andparticipate. We will be sure to consider and update the research based on feedback and questionsto improve the quality for all end users.To join our monthly research mailing list, contact us at Research@InMobi.comTo download the full reports, visit us at www.InMobi.com/research