1. A GLOBAL VIEW OF MOBILE ADVERTISING: Europe Regional Summary Q3 2011 InMobi Mobile Insights - Network Data Release date: October 25th, 2011
2. ABOUT THE RESEARCHProject BackgroundAfter launching in 2007 in Asia, InMobi quickly grew to become the worlds largest independentmobile advertising network. In the third quarter of 2011, we served 138.4 billion impressions in 165markets worldwide. With a physical presence in 5 continents, over 5,500 publisher partners, and abroad, independent market footprint, InMobi is well positioned to provide an objective,comprehensive, and representative view of the mobile advertising market.Research ObjectivesWe have three goals with this research:1.  Help educate the market. Statistics and information about the state of mobile advertising are lacking in most regions of the world.2.  Track consumer opinions regarding mobile advertising. With any emerging medium, the consumer perspective is critical to overall market success. We see a need for trending across regions in this area.3.  Collaborate with industry thought leaders to increase market insight and improve information quality ongoing. As a global independent company, we value partnerships that will strengthen our understanding of the market. Researchers, thought-leaders, and analysts are encouraged to contact us and apply for full partner access. Beginning July 2011, InMobi is moving towards Contact Information quarterly data views which will highlight broader www.inmobi.com/research industry trends and provide an overview of the firstname.lastname@example.org global mobile advertising market.   Twitter: @inmobi
3. NETWORK DATASpecificationsData in this report are sourced from our global mobile advertising network which served 138.4 billionimpressions in the third quarter of 2011. With 165 countries receiving over 50.4 billion impressions inSeptember, we are able to claim one of the broadest and most representative networks in the world. Exactspecifications are as follows:• Global Available Impressions in Quarter 3, 2011: 138.4 billion• Regions Represented: Africa, Asia Pacific, Europe, Middle East, North America, and South America• Countries Represented: 131 countries with over 10 million impressions per month• Base Measure: Available Impressions• Reports: Market Summary, Manufacturer Share, OS Share, and Top Handsets & Connected Devices• Time Periods: Q2 2011 (April – June 2011), Q3 2011 (July – September 2011)• Comparisons: Q3 2011 versus Q2 2011RepresentationInMobi is committed to an independent and transparent leadership position in mobile advertising. With that in mind,the following issues are present in this data.Mobile Advertising Market Definition: This report covers mobile display advertising only including both Mobile Web(WAP) and APP. SMS/Text and Search are NOT included in this synopsis.Scale and Time In Market: Representation within the network is a function of the both scale and time in market.Readers can expect more fluctuation and variance in younger, smaller markets for the company.Publisher Mix: As with any ad network, market representation is a function of the publisher mix. We have over5,000 publishers of all sizes and content types, but changes to the publisher mix in a given market could impact thedata.Advertiser Mix: Similar to publisher mix, the advertiser mix could impact the numbers in our network, although to amuch lesser extent than publishers.
4. EUROPE SUMMARYEurope Regional Profile: Q3 2011 Q3 showed continued mobile ad growth in Europe on the InMobi network. "   InMobi now serves over 15.5 billion impressions per quarter in Europe. Mobile ad growth is entirely driven by smartphones, which grew by 75.8% in Q3. "   Smartphones gained over 4.8 billion impressions over the last quarter and now represent 72% of all mobile ads in the region. With nearly 7 of 10 ads on Smartphones in Europe, brands have the opportunity to market effectively through this mass-reach medium. Available Impression Volume & Composition Global Samsung passes Nokia and Apple Q2 2011 Q3 2011 % Chg Development Index to become the #1 device Total 10,631,601,793 15,520,493,355 46.0% n/a manufacturer by mobile ads inSmartphone 6,413,673,369 11,273,971,271 75.8% 142Advanced 4,217,928,424 4,246,522,084 0.7% 50 Europe.Mobile Web 8,000,976,434 10,440,484,209 30.5% 85 "   After a strong Q3, the Android platform App 2,630,625,359 5,080,009,146 93.1% 156 delivers 33% of mobile ads in Europe. Source: InMobi Mobile Insights – Network Research, Q3 2011
5. EUROPE Europe OS Share: Q3 2011 Available Impressions Global Android OS Impressions % Share Pt. Chg Development Index 33%   iPhone OS Android 5,120,359,997 33.0% +7.8 147 36%   Symbian OS iPhone OS 2,316,876,617 14.9% -4.8 136 Symbian OS 1,536,220,208 9.9% -2.9 56 Nokia OS Nokia OS 904,316,977 5.8% -1.7 32 Others Others 5,642,719,556 36.4% +1.6 n/a 6%   15%   10%  Android continues to grow and remains the top mobile platform in the region, with anincrease of 7.8 share points in Q3. iPhone OS and Symbian lost share in Q3."  In Q4 2010 and Q1 2011 Android growth far outpaced the market; this trend reversed in Q2, partially because of the strength of the Apple iPad. In Q3 Android growth continued."  Android and iPhone OS combined represent almost half of ad impressions delivered in Europe. Source: InMobi Mobile Insights – Network Research, Q3 2011
6. EUROPE Europe Manufacturer Share: Q3 2011 Available Impressions Global Manufacturer Impressions % Share Pt. Chg Development Index Samsung Samsung 3,261,277,052 21.0% +3.2 117 21%   Nokia Nokia 2,325,210,178 15.0% -3.9 42 29%   Apple Apple 2,316,876,617 14.9% -4.8 136 HTC HTC 1,651,407,634 10.6% +0.3 180 SonyEricsson SonyEricsson 788,283,082 5.1% -0.8 89 LG 15%   LG 487,715,717 3.1% -0.5 76 Motorola1%   Others Motorola 183,900,732 1.2% -1.0 453%   5%   Others 4,505,822,343 29.0% +7.6 n/a 11%   15%   Samsung became the #1 mobile phone manufacturer by share of ad impressions in Q3. "  Samsung gained 3.2 share points while Nokia and Apple lost 3.9 and 4.8 points, respectively. "  Devices from the top three manufacturers (Samsung, Nokia and Apple) in Europe represent 50% of all mobile ads in the region. Source: InMobi Mobile Insights – Network Research, Q3 2011
7. EUROPEEurope Handset and Connected Device Detail: Q3 2011 Global Handset Impressions % Share Pt. Chg Development Index Apple iPhone 4 1,112,059,797 7.2% +0.2 174 Samsung GT-I9000 759,629,959 4.9% +0.1 412 HTC Desire S 473,919,160 3.1% +3.1 325 Samsung GT-I9100 418,257,477 2.7% +2.2 376 Apple iPad I 401,690,652 2.6% +0.4 187 HTC Desire 335,822,853 2.2% -2.1 454 Apple iPod Generation IV 317,757,528 2.0% +0.1 140 Samsung GT-S5830 279,166,617 1.8% +1.8 363 HTC Wildfire 268,890,880 1.7% +1.4 556 HTC 001HT 266,835,741 1.7% +1.7 127 SonyEricsson E15i 195,350,043 1.3% +0.9 349 Nokia 6300 188,340,463 1.2% -0.4 67 Nokia X6 167,199,821 1.1% +0.6 1803 of the top 7 devices in the European mobile ecosystem by ad impression are Appledevices. The iPhone remains the #1 device in the region."  All the top ten devices over-index considerably, demonstrating the unique composition of smartphone devices in the Europe mobile landscape. Source: InMobi Mobile Insights – Network Research, Q3 2011
8. EUROPE Europe Summary: Q3 2011 Available Impression Volume & Composition Top 5 Manufacturers: % Share of Available Impressions Q2 2011 Q3 2011 % Chg Q2 2011 Q3 2011 Pt. Chg Total 10,631,601,793 15,520,493,355 46.0% Samsung 17.8% 21.0% +3.2Smartphone 6,413,673,369 11,273,971,271 75.8% Nokia 18.9% 15.0% -3.9Advanced 4,217,928,424 4,246,522,084 0.7% Apple 19.7% 14.9% -4.8Mobile Web 8,000,976,434 10,440,484,209 30.5% HTC 10.4% 10.6% +0.3 App 2,630,625,359 5,080,009,146 93.1% SonyEricsson 5.9% 5.1% -0.8 Top Countries within Region: % Share of Available Top 3 OS Systems: % Share of Available Impressions Impressions Q2 2011 Q3 2011 % Chg Q3 2011 Pt. Chg Android 25.2% 33.0% +7.8 United Kingdom 23.3% +2.6 Spain 11.1% +3.2 iPhone OS 19.7% 14.9% -4.8 Netherlands 8.5% +3.0 Symbian OS 12.8% 9.9% -2.9 France 7.6% +2.1 Germany 7.6% -4.6 Turkey 6.3% +0.1 "   The InMobi Europe network remains healthy, with 46% growth over the past three months. "   Spain was fastest growing mobile ad market in Europe, gaining 3.2 share points of regional ad share. "   Samsung became the #1 manufacturer in Europe by ad impressions. "   Android, the most popular mobile OS in Europe, delivered one third of total impressions. Source: InMobi Mobile Insights – Network Research, Q3 2011
9. MEASURES AND TERM DEFINITIONSMeasures:Available Impressions: The total number of ads requests made to the InMobi network% Share (of Available Impressions): The % of total available impressions in the specified region allocated to the inventory type, device,manufacturer, or OS under analysis.Global Development Index: An index of the % share of the inventory type, device, manufacturer, or OS under analysis in the specifiedregion or country relative to that same inventory type, device, manufacturer, or OS share globally.Regional Development Index: Global Development Index: An index of the % share of the inventory type, device, manufacturer, or OSunder analysis in the specified country relative to that same inventory type, device, manufacturer, or OS share in the relevant region.% Chg: The percentage change in absolute value between two different time periods.Pt Chg: The difference between two share percentages for an inventory type, device, manufacturer, or OS under analysis in different timeperiods.Definitions:Smartphone: Any impression served to an iPhone OS, Android OS, RIM OS, webOS, Windows Mobile OS, Linux Smartphone OS, PalmOS, Nokia N & E Series Phones, or Samsung Bada.Advanced: Any impression served to any OS or handset not included in the smart phone definition above.Mobile Web: Any impression served using Wireless Application Protocol (WAP) which is an open international standard for application-layer network communications in a wireless-communication environment.App (Application): Any impressions served to a mobile application resident on the consumer mobile device.Carrier: The mobile network operator (MNO), carrier service provider (CSP), wireless service provider, wireless carrier, or cellularcompany providing service for mobile phone subscriber served the impression.OS (Operating System): The system software (programs and data) running on the mobile devices that manages the hardware andprovides common services for execution of various application software receiving the impression.Handsets and Connected Device: The make and model of the mobile device receiving the impression.Manufacturer: The OEM manufacturer of the mobile device receiving the impression.Other: An aggregation of any remaining impressions not specifically detailed previously. Typically an aggregation of everything under 1%share.InMobi Regional Definitions:InMobi defines all regions per Wikipedia with the following modifications:“Asia Pacific” includes the 15 Oceania countries as listed in Wikipedia.“South America” includes South & Central Americas as listed in Wikipedia.
10. NEXT STEPSThis data is part of a series of network reports that are released monthly.Additional regions and markets will be released throughout the quarter.Release ScheduleOnce a quarter InMobi will release a full data report which will include global, regional and countrydata views. The next full release is planned for mid January. Infographics with monthly data will beavailable in November and December. Monthly data updates including key information by market willbe released via our mailing lists and website.While we move to a quarterly release schedule, we will still continue to release insightful data on keymarkets across regions on a monthly basis. These releases will shed light on emerging trends andunique developments specific to those key markets.Open Source Research: Getting InvolvedObjective industry analysts and thought-leaders are encouraged to comment, question, andparticipate. We will be sure to consider and update the research based on feedback and questionsto improve the quality for all end users.To join our monthly research mailing list, contact us at Research@InMobi.comTo download the full reports, visit us at www.InMobi.com/research