Brand Extensions, ! Plus Products, Collaterals, ! Line Extensions ! or The ‘Third Leg’ ? - Max Weimer
Brand Extensions, !
Line Extensions !
or The ‘Third Leg’ ?
« Quote »
“It’s not about pure proﬁt on promotions. It’s always !
about a mixture of the types of value you add when !
doing promotions that in the end will make you sell !
Philip Gielkens, Marketing Manager !
Het Laatste Nieuws (Belgium)!
Non-strategic assets are assets that!
- are not the inherent « essence » of the newspaper!
- are assets that are nevertheless indissociable from and
an essential part of the day-to-day activity of a
« Quote »
“Great Irish Writers has been to date one of the best
newspaper promotions that I have ever been involved in.
The project worked at brand level, at retail level and of
course it was a real winner for newspaper sales. !
The collection was a perfect ﬁt for our newspaper as it
promoted the written Irish word - this in essence is what
our business is all about.”!
Geoff Lyons, Brand Manager !
The Irish Independent (Ireland)!
• Brand! • Media!
- Immediate brand - Means of leveraging
recognition by readers and non- communication (self-promotion)!
readers! - Other media within group!
- The reader already is a client! - Ability to barter/exchange with
- A known entity other media (radio, TV...)!
(relationship of trust)!
• Distribution! Above and beyond traditional
- Distribution network and marketing activities, newspapers
powerful logistics! have teams that are ready and able
! to conduct signiﬁcant promotional
campaigns that are in tune with
... Every 24 hours ! ! readers and a total market
• Existing Database(s)!
« Quote »
“If a newspaper promotion is well chosen it deﬁnitely
adds value to your brand. !
Branding a product by personalizing it, is even more
appealing to the reader. There are no restrictions
(besides ‘dodgy’ products) as long as they are well
chosen and match your existing brand.”!
Laurence Genevet, Commercial Director!
Single Copy versus Subscription Based Environment
Single Copy! Subscription Based!
Immediate brand recognition.!
Brand! Existing clients.! The same!
Relationship of trust.!
Powerful platform for using! Excellent for buyer retention
Marketing! point of sale for reader and reader conversion.!
acquisition. Impulse driven Less good for acquisition
environment! (although there are
possibilities in using
Single-copy newspapers have Difference is on case-by-case
Distribution! superb existing distribution basis, but generally limited
infra-structure and signiﬁcant penetration and leverage!
leverage in the channel.!
Typically very limited.! Provides excellent variety of
Database! possible uses, with powerful
Value Added Product Considerations
• Strategy : Why am I doing this?!
• ‘Mass’ or ‘Class’?!
• Editorial « buy in » or editorial « support »?!
• Long term or short term? !
• Subscribers or single copy?!
• Internal or external?!
• How often? !
Value Added Products
Part work and
Part Works derivative
Where is your brand?
Part work and
Games & Music
Costs Revenues !
« Quote »
“The key to success remains the quality of the products
and the service to your readers. The association between
a plus product and your brand is always present. You can
never allow yourself to lower your brand credibility,
because of a non-matching image between newspaper
brand and plus product.”!
Nicolas Corneau, Commercial Director!
La Nouvelle République du Centre-Ouest
The Essence of Brand Extensions
• Different type of promotions go with different type of newspapers and
different components of your brand!
– ﬁlter your brand values (aspirational, utilitarian, entertaining/fun)!
– a brand is not one single emotional perception!
– different components require different marketing for different
• Strategic branding!
– what is my brand today?!
– how do we want it to be perceived tomorrow?!
– which products are we going to launch to make that happen?!
• Interaction between brand and promotion!
– promotions can leverage your brand and vice versa!
– new topics: long term implementation !
– branding is part of long term strategies!
– is your core product still the newspaper or is the newspaper a
• BRANDS ARE EMOTIONS!!