1. In the 1940’s Americans became fascinated by LatinAmerican rhythms. The original Mambo music, ElGuardia, had its beginning in 1944 as a Rumba witha riff improvisation. The Mambo combinedAmerican Jazz with the Afro-Cuban beat. ArthurMurray Studios became famous for turning outsome of the best Mambo dancers of the era.
2. The components of Mambo are rock steps andside steps and foot styling includes points, kicks orflicks. The Latin hip movement in Mambo is animportant aspect of the dance.
3. There are two schools of thought as to how thiscaptivating dance began. One says it started as apeasant dance in the Dominican Republic byAfrican slaves. Another says a returning war hero,a General Marengue, danced dragging an injuredleg.
4. Walking steps and side steps (chasse) are the basiccomponents of Merengue. This dance isintroduced as a marching dance but can bedeveloped into a very rhythmical dance. With“Cuban Motion” and animated body movement,the Merengue gives a festive party appeal.
5. 8902 Saint Peter St.Indianapolis, IN 46227 Phone:317-881-7762